It is currently Oct 21, 2019 3:00 pm 

Churches, post your events and activities in the Local Churches forum.
Local Businesses, post your events and activities in the Local Businesses and Services forum.

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: 10/4 - meeting comminissioers
Post Posted: Oct 1, 2019 10:03 am 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
With re: to the meeting on Friday eve (10-4) with the commissioners and sheriff at the Harris Park Community center - I hope anyone with concerns re; road maintenance will attend and ask WHY of the commissioners. The announcement for this meeting is in the community events forum.

Post subject: Re: meeting comminissioers
Post Posted: Oct 1, 2019 11:09 am 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
I don't think I will be able to make it. But I want to thank the Sheriff's Dept for their service! :applause:

I have lots of complaints about the Shelton Dr road construction fiasco. But we can't turn back time.

1) However, going forward how does the county plan to control excessive speeding on Shelton?????

I recommend lowering the speed limit from 20 to 15 and set up a speed trap with double fines. Most people drive in front of my house in excess of 40 mph, and I am sick of it. I will allow the Sheriff's department to park in my driveway. I would love it, in fact. They can have access to my kitchen and bathroom.
We particularly need patrolling during AM & PM commute hours, the after school traffic and the Friday&Saturday night after bar closing traffic.

2) Also it would be great if some one could bring up (again) about the desperate need for an alternate emergency evacuation route out of HP that doesn't involve CR43. Like along Elk Creek to 285.

3) Not sure it is within Sheriff or Commissioner influence, but PLEASE shut down that damn shooting range. If not, can they at least police it more? Please!

4) I am more than happy to pay more taxes if it means we can have more law enforcement officers. Park County is HUGE and we can always benefit from more LEOs.

Post subject: Re: 10/4 - meeting comminissioers
Post Posted: Oct 1, 2019 1:10 pm 
Stratospheric Poster!
Stratospheric Poster!
1) I have concerns about Shelton as well. I agree that the construction has been a fiasco and I'm getting concerned that they won't be done before the snow flies. They could potentially have to start over again from step one next spring if that happens. IF it's ever completed, it will cut down on dust (good thing) but speeds will be far worse than they are now and they're pretty much out of control now. Can't count the number of times I've almost been hit head-on by someone skidding around a curve at a high rate of speed. I don't think reducing the speed limit will have any impact but lots of patrols would be awesome. I also wonder if this is going to become a school route. If so, it will get better winter maintenance but again, the speeds will make that a very dangerous proposition. I'm hoping to make the meeting and will most definitely bring all of this up.

2) The alternate route out of Harris Park includes private land so ...

3) I doubt the Sheriff or Commissioners have any say about the gun range, it's on forest service land.

4) Wouldn't be opposed to this.

Post Posted: Oct 1, 2019 3:05 pm 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Thanks for your support re: Shelton. The lower speed limit probably would not slow down traffic much but it should increase the amount of the fines. I'm assuming that doing 45mph in a 15mph zone would cost more than doing 45mph in a 20mph zone.

But in any case we need the LEOs to start handing out tickets. Easily 99% of the traffic is breaking the law (speeding, illegal vehicles and running stop signs onto Shelton). The revenue from a week's worth of patrolling Shelton could probably pay for a LEO's annual salary.

Not sure what they will do next Spring but Shelton will be a mess. I am certain of that.

Can you imagine what the snow plows are going to do to Shelton? Even if they get a good top coat on before winter, the road base was so poorly done the road will not withstand the freeze/thaw cycles, traffic and snow plows. Shelton will be worse than ever.

Just look at that short hill section right off CR43; it has not been able to withstand any amount of traffic. Keeping it blocked off now will do nothing. The road base sucks, therefore anything put on top of it will not hold up.

Just because Park County doesn't have a competent engineer on staff, is no excuse for wasting so much time and money on a poorly designed and executed project. A decent civil engineer consultant could have saved an estimated 50% or more of the cost and time. :rant:

Next:
I am aware that the best alternate route out of HP is private land. Surely some arrangements can be devised for emergency purposes. The land owner(s) must be aware that in the event of a wildfire bearing down on HP & ECH, people will be trespassing through there anyway, especially if CR43 is backed up (which is highly likely). So why not prepare for it and do it in a safe, organized and equitable manner.

Last edited by CooknThyme on Oct 1, 2019 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Oct 1, 2019 3:16 pm 
Stratospheric Poster!
Stratospheric Poster!
CooknThyme, you may know who I am. I ride past your place on a silver and black CanAm Spyder (trike with two wheels in the front and one in the back). I guarantee I don't speed, my beasty would just spin out. ;)

Post Posted: Oct 1, 2019 3:18 pm 
Stratospheric Poster!
Stratospheric Poster!
As far as the private egress is concerned, I know Fire/LE tried to get an agreement in place many years ago. The land owner flat-out refused and put up locked gates and boulders across the road. I believe ownership may have changed since then. I'll definitely bring it up at the meeting.

Post Posted: Oct 1, 2019 3:31 pm 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Yep, I know your trike! VERY cool! ;)
You & I are part of the 1% that doesn't break the law on Shelton.
Thank you for your safe driving habits. I love how you slow down even more when people are walking or there are dogs or wildlife near the edge of the road. Bless you!

And I have witnessed people almost running you off the road. :yikes: When they are speeding into the sun glare you must be invisible. Please stay safe.

Re the alternate route: Thanks I think it is worth bringing up again. Like I said, it will certainly be an evacuation route regardless. And in its current condition, a very dangerous route.

Post Posted: Oct 2, 2019 6:46 am 
Stratospheric Poster!
Stratospheric Poster!
CooknThyme wrote:
And I have witnessed people almost running you off the road. :yikes: When they are speeding into the sun glare you must be invisible. Please stay safe.

I always assume everyone else on the road wants to kill me. Keeps the senses sharp. ;)

Post Posted: Oct 2, 2019 1:02 pm 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
:lol: I see you view drivers similar to me.

One can take what seems to be an ordinary individual and put them behind the wheel and many become vicious bullies.

What's up with that?

Post Posted: Oct 5, 2019 5:41 am 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
So how was the meeting?
I'd love to hear the details.

Post Posted: Oct 5, 2019 8:27 am 
Whoa momma! A top Pinecam poster!
Whoa momma! A top Pinecam poster!
It was a great turnout, standing room only. The sheriff and the commissioners
did a great job listening to people.

I’m sharing this from Liz Biggs’s from FB. She was the organizer.
Thank you so much to all who made it out to our roundtable! We had a great turn out and discussions - from roads to shooting in the forest to mental health in our county and more. The Sheriff and Commissioners stayed an extra hour after it ended, talking with folks. Approximately 70 people from over 5 neighborhoods!!! Thank you to all who helped!

Post Posted: Oct 11, 2019 9:56 am 
New Poster
My take on the 10/4 Harris Park meeting with Sheriff McGraw and two County Commissioners (Elsner from our District 2 and Douglass from District 3) is that it was, indeed, well attended by citizens. And McGraw, Elsner, and Douglass definitely listened well. I had hoped for more...at least for some commitment going forward on resolving issues, i.e., "OK, here's what we can do for you:...").

--No commitments were forthcoming regarding most of the issues, with the exception of trying harder to make more meaningful support available for potential suicides, an alarmingly huge problem in this county.

--Regarding the probability of hazardous increased speeding on Shelton, they understood and empathized.

--Regarding the shooting range, they understood and empathized. And, when pressed, they rather halfheartedly nodded that it would be possible for them to contact US Forestry for us about moving the shooting range further away from developed areas and, also, about telling Forestry to not follow through with their idea for a few years down the road of actually expanding the shooting range right where it is. I was surprised to learn that McGraw and Elsner had not contacted them about this already!

This meeting was more like an evening social. And while we were complemented for our large turnout, I feel a little like Greta Thunberg: we don't need your complements; we need you to take action.

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next