prior years topics: 2018 2017 2016 2015

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Strawberries
Post Posted: Jul 11, 2019 3:00 pm 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
I know one of you will know this.

Late last summer I dug up from the yard four wild strawberry plants. Tiny little things. I transplanted them into a whiskey barrel on the deck just on a whim. Over winter three of the four survived. One flowered but didn’t produce any berries. The plants are going wild and are about 100 times bigger than what I started out with. There are so many runners it looks like I dropped a plate of spaghetti.

I’d like to move them to a raised bed planter but I’m guessing that would be best done in the spring.

Should I cut back some of the runners next year to induce berries or just them run wild?

"Its easy to go down into hell; night and day the gates of dark death stand wide; but to climb back up again; to retrace one's steps to the open air, there lies the problem, the difficult task, ..." Virgil: The Aeneid

Post subject: Re: Strawberries
Post Posted: Jul 12, 2019 6:35 am 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Where the runners touch the soil they should form roots. Then you can snip them off and transplant them. Yes early Spring is best for transplants (the mother plant or the runners). But if you are careful you can do it any time during the growing season (just water well and provide some protection from the sun for the first 10-15 days). However, summer transplanting will likely not produce a crop this year.

Since they are producing runners but not fruit, I suspect they are getting too much nitrogen and not enough phosphorus. Removing some of the runners may help too.

Hope that helps some.

Post subject: Re: Strawberries
Post Posted: Jul 12, 2019 9:07 am 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
Thanks, that's what I thought.

"Its easy to go down into hell; night and day the gates of dark death stand wide; but to climb back up again; to retrace one's steps to the open air, there lies the problem, the difficult task, ..." Virgil: The Aeneid

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ]