It is currently Jul 20, 2019 1:57 pm 

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: ice crampons/hiking traction cleats
Post Posted: Feb 4, 2019 11:13 am 
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
I finally got tired of slipping and turning my ankles on icy trails and bought a pair of ice crampons. After studying websites such as:

Rei How to Choose Crampons

comparaboo The 6 Best Crampons Feb. 2019

Top 10 Best Ice Cleats in 2019 Reviews | Buyer’s Guide

I decided to go with the EnergeticSky (on amazon.com where I bought them). I didn't think micro-spikes would work as well as spikes given how trails up here get such solid, hard ice. The EnergeticSky were mid-priced. I didn't want to pay $70 for ice crampons only to potentially find I didn't like them or they were too hard on my knees and/or ankles. And after reading reviews where people lost their crampons while hiking, I wanted a pair that would stay on my boots even in deep snow/slush.

So far, I have used them 3 times. At first, they were difficult to get on my boots and, truthfully, I had a bit of trouble figuring out how to use the velcro strap. But on the trail, they are terrific. While my poor, only boot clad husband was slipping all over the trail, I didn't have a single slip. So, yes, I am very pleased with them!

Do you use ice crampons or some short of traction cleats or traction boots?? If so, what kind are you using? Are you pleased with how they work?

Post subject: Re: ice crampons
Post Posted: Feb 4, 2019 11:33 am 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Those are not crampons. Those are microspikes. Crampons are typically used for ice climbing or steep, couloir climbing on consolidated snow and/or ice...typically late winter/spring in Colorado. Microspikes are very different than crampons. You would not hike in crampons. Spikes handy in icy conditions. I use Kahtoola brand for my high altitude adventures. The issues with Velcro straps is they can collect ice and lose their hold. They can also give way or wear out just through normal heavy use so check them accordingly. Enjoy!

Post Posted: Feb 4, 2019 11:48 am 
Well, maybe that was the definition while ago for ice crampons but the definition seems to have expanded into non-expert traction cleats. So I edited my title to include those words.

Post subject: Re: ice crampons/hiking traction cleats
Post Posted: Feb 4, 2019 12:23 pm 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
I love the Stabilicers. We have used them for years, and we have multiple pairs - we keep them in every car. I have difficulty putting on some of the other ice cleats that stretch over your shoes - I seem to break a couple of nails each time I try to stretch those things over my shoes! I have snow boots that have the Stabilicers on them all winter long that sit by the door because our driveway is a luge track. :thud: :thud: I have never slipped or fallen since I started using these years ago.

Post Posted: Feb 4, 2019 12:26 pm 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
TillerBee wrote:
Well, maybe that was the definition while ago for ice crampons but the definition seems to have expanded into non-expert traction cleats. So I edited my title to include those words.

Crampons are crampons and microspikes are microspikes... or just spikes for short. I just didn't want anyone mistakenly seek out crampons when all they really want/need are spikes. Some manufacturers are mislabeling their gear which adds to the confusion.

Post Posted: Feb 4, 2019 12:52 pm 
Stratospheric Poster!
Stratospheric Poster!
I LOVE my Kahtoola microspikes. The important thing is that they are easy to get on my shoes (maybe 10 seconds each?) and they work great. This last weekend I hiked 9 miles in them and I was WISHING for the bare ice I had in the morning instead of the slush and mud in the afternoon sun. I can easily walk on bare ice with them and they have never slipped off my boot or the ice.

What is a total waste of money is to try to go cheap with YakTrax or the like. They just break or fall off.

Post Posted: Feb 4, 2019 12:56 pm 
Stratospheric Poster!
Stratospheric Poster!
mtree wrote:
TillerBee wrote:

Crampons are crampons and microspikes are microspikes... or just spikes for short. I just didn't want anyone mistakenly seek out crampons when all they really want/need are spikes. Some manufacturers are mislabeling their gear which adds to the confusion.

It is even worse now with the terminology as now there are "nanospikes" which look more like football or golf cleats. I'm not ready to trust them yet...

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ]