It is currently May 28, 2020 5:40 am 

Post your images and discussions about Colorado flora and fauna here.

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Re: Birds Striking Windows - Solutions
Post Posted: May 16, 2020 8:48 am 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
I bought a new feeder at ACE last year. Tiny saucer shape with a suction cup. Loved it so much. Easy to clean, only holds a tiny bit of fluid so I do clean it often and no birds flying into window at all. I hope they have more of them this year.

Post Posted: May 16, 2020 9:20 am 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
We live on a lake and we get some huge bird strikes. Enough that the window takes light damage. The previous owner had a spinning thing, now I know why!

Post Posted: May 16, 2020 9:29 am 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
Angela - I don't see your pics whether I'm logged into pine cam or not. Any idea what's up with that?

Post Posted: May 16, 2020 10:09 am 
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
may be too old and the image server took them down. let me go look and see if I can upload them again. I just updated the pics and updated my post. Thanks for the heads up

If you have a pet you wish to add to the Rainbow Bridge Site, please either post in the Pet Forum Rainbow Bridge Page viewtopic.php?f=85&t=78851 or PM me with pet names you would like them added. If you have others already there, please give me their names so I can add your pet with them.

Post Posted: May 17, 2020 8:09 am 
Stratospheric Poster!
Stratospheric Poster!
I would think most people wouldn't want to have big beautiful windows where we pay big bucks to have a great view and then put these cords on and make it look like you're looking through bars.

Post Posted: May 17, 2020 8:43 am 
the cords are not really seen. It fools the eye and saves the birds. I use three different window methods here and they all have proven successful

If you have a pet you wish to add to the Rainbow Bridge Site, please either post in the Pet Forum Rainbow Bridge Page viewtopic.php?f=85&t=78851 or PM me with pet names you would like them added. If you have others already there, please give me their names so I can add your pet with them.

Post Posted: May 17, 2020 10:08 am 
Infrequent Pinecam poster
I have had a feather tied to a fishing line on a swivel dangling in front of my picture window for years. The swivel Allows the feather to dance in the breeze and not get all twisted up. The other end of the line is tied to a gutter support. I added a pea sized fishing weight to the line just above the swivel to give it more weight to keep it from blowing up in the gutter when the wind picks up. This has been effective in alerting the birds to the window and reducing strikes significantly.

Post Posted: May 17, 2020 10:10 am 
excellent idea! our copper coils are on swivels and they spin in the wind and look cool, too

Post Posted: May 17, 2020 9:27 pm 
Wily Fox, those are good ideas. Is the solar screen the same as the material called Coolaroo? We could use something to reduce sunshine on some of the windows.

Dingbat the batty female bluebird has not appeared since two years ago, but who knows what other birds will go to war against the reflections.

Post Posted: May 17, 2020 10:28 pm 
not that I know of. Here is where I buy all of my screen. https://www.metroscreenworks.com/solar-screens/

We had a goshawk fly into one of the plate glass windows that now has solar screen over it. It was not killed, but suffered a bad concussion. I actually went out and picked it up and took it out back to sit in the sun. It was a cold winter day with snow everywhere. It took all day for it to come around and finally fly off.

Last edited by Wily Fox aka Angela on May 18, 2020 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: May 18, 2020 8:53 am 
Thank you for the link! We will look into getting some of those exterior panels. Killing two birds with one stone...errrr, NOT killing any birds by having those in place.

I’ve seen birds sitting in the road or trail that at first appeared unable to fly, yet after a few minutes they took off. They must sometimes get stunned or maybe just tired.

Post Posted: May 18, 2020 9:15 am 
birds striking windows usually end up either dead or with a concussion. If they just lightly tap the window, they usually survive it without harm.

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next