It is currently May 22, 2019 1:45 pm 

Do you or someone you know need some help with a project?
Click here to contact the Neighborhood Action Team.

Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Re: Iditarod 2019
Post Posted: Mar 14, 2019 10:25 am 
Scanner Monitor
Scanner Monitor
When groups visit Jeff's kennel, the moment your feet touch the ground you are handed a puppy! So very much fun and it helps socialize them. They are little too, maybe three or four weeks old. Of course, photos are taken of everybody holding their puppy which you may purchase at the end of the presentation. I can't help but share this photo of Steve at the Husky Homestead Kennel in Denali:

Sorry. :on topic:

It's kind of fun to do the impossible.

Be compassionate, understanding and kind. You never know who is
this close to giving up.

Post Posted: Mar 14, 2019 11:18 am 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Location: in a state of gratitude (well, I try to be anyway...)
I love it AL! Great pic!

Lots of racing still happening! The back of the pack is in Unalakleet with over 260 miles to go. A few more days until they crown the red lantern musher.

I hope Lance MacKey finishes in day light hours and is greeted with a huge crowd in Nome. This could be the last Iditarod race for this mushing legend.

Post Posted: Mar 14, 2019 11:32 am 
Scanner Monitor
Scanner Monitor
I was just thinking the same thing. He has a FB page I follow. After some setbacks, it's great to see him out there!

this close to giving up.

Post Posted: Mar 14, 2019 3:23 pm 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
I think as long as Lance is able to finish he will be happy with the race. He is racing conservatively....
:rof laughing: well that's relative of course as the Iditarod is an extreme adventure/race.
He left Elim this morning ~9:30 (AK time) and is about 1/2 way to White Mt.

The Berington Twins are approaching Nome! At their current rate of speed they should be there about 2pm AK time (4pm our time). Always fun to watch them arrive together!

Still no word about what happened to Jessie Holmes after he left Koyuk. A few miles out he returned to Koyuk. Overall he "rested" in Koyuk for over 30 hours. That's a lot!

He is in White Mt now and has already completed his mandatory 8 hr rest but he still has not left. He's been there about 11 hrs so far. Perhaps he pushed his team too hard in the first half of the race and now needs a lot more rest for them to recover sufficiently to keep them healthy (just a guess on my part). His dogs are the center of his Universe (but you already know this if you follow him on "Life Below Zero").

He arrived in Koyuk with 10 dogs and left with 9. I sure hope he and his dogs are okay. I'm hoping the problem is a bum sled.

Post Posted: Mar 14, 2019 4:08 pm 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:
Congratulations Kristy and Anna Berington!!
:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

They finished 16th & 17th. That's their best yet!!!

Their goal for this race was to finish in the top 20. They did it!!! :applause: :applause:

Post Posted: Mar 14, 2019 5:26 pm 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Got a little bit of news re: Jessie Holmes.
He and his dogs are totally fine. Whew!
He is giving his dogs extra rest and says he is not worried about his standing in the race. His goal is a fun experience for he and his dogs.

He did not leave White Mt at 10am (AK time) when his 8 hours were up as he did not want to run his team during the heat of the day. He said he'll leave when it cools down.

The weather along the Iditarod trail has been VERY warm this year raising above freezing frequently. This makes for lots of water and slushy trails. Both musher and dogs have had troubles with wet feet.

A lack of sea ice required several trail changes. So the race was actually a bit longer than the reported distances between checkpoints.

It even rained in various places along the trail. Far from ideal conditions.

The "sweet spot" temperatures for most sled dogs is zero degrees plus/minus 10 degrees. In warm years like this some mushers only want to run from 6pm to 8-10am then take their rests and let the sun relax their dogs' muscles.

:praying: So grateful that Jessie and his dogs are okay! I can't wait to hear the whole story. He's a really good guy. He loves his dogs. :love: :dog:

BTW Martin Buser has just left White Mt, currently in 23rd place.

Post Posted: Mar 14, 2019 8:06 pm 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
daisypusher wrote:
Thanks CooknThyme - I enjoyed your coverage.

Ah shucks. Thanks.
I don't have anyone who enjoys the race like I do. I wanted someone to talk to about it, to share the excitement. Grateful for Pinecam :yeapinecam:

Post Posted: Mar 14, 2019 8:11 pm 
Scanner Monitor
Scanner Monitor
That is a relief about Jessie.

Happy to hear Buser is still in. A few years ago, one of his fingers got caught in a saw and was badly injured. He started the race the next day, anyway. That kind of toughness and determination is probably pretty typical for these people.

this close to giving up.

Post Posted: Mar 14, 2019 9:15 pm 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Martin Buser is running fast! He is half way to Safety! Then the last 22 miles to Nome. He'll probably finish in the wee hours of the morning. He is currently in 23rd place.

Lance is in White Mt on his 8 hr rest, which will be up at ~mid-night 30 (AK time).

I suspect that Jessie H will finally leave White Mt as soon as the sun goes down (soon).

The back of the pack (4 mushers) are resting in Shaktoolik.

Post Posted: Mar 15, 2019 7:45 am 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Good morning Iditarod fans!

Martin Buser finished this morning at about 1:15am in 23th place.
It took him 11d 10h 16m 24s to go from Willow to Nome!
:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

I can't wait to see the footage of him leaving White Mt. Apparently it was a comical sight as he tried to align his dogs to take off, but they were more interested in one of the females that was in heat. Might be an R rated video :lol:

Well it never really cooled off in White Mt last night with temperatures remaining in the mid twenties. Jessie Holmes didn't leave until this morning at about 12:30am along with Lance MacKey. They have been traveling together since then and are more than half way to Safety. They are currently in 27th and 28th place.

It's colder here at my house (~0 deg) than it is in Nome right now (~24 deg). Crazy.

Jessie might want colder weather but Lance has been grateful for the warmer temperatures due to the troubles he has been having with his hands. In an interview with Lance he said he was very happy with a 28th position. This 4x Iditarod champion called this year's race the snooze cruise. :animated laughing:

After thinking about what little I know of what is going on with Jessie Holmes, I think there is a much bigger story there and hope it gets told. He was in the top 10 the entire race until Koyuk. He entered Koyuk in 5th place right behind Aliy, then rested for over 30 hours. When he reached the next check point, Elim, he was in 22nd place. Then a super long rest in White Mt (over 22 hours when only 8 hr were required) and now is heading to Safety in 27th place.

Coming into the race he said his goal was to improve on his 7th place finish of last year (his rookie year). But now he doesn't care where he finishes? "Something" changed his mind set.

I had planned to go run errands this morning but I think I will wait until Jessie and Lance finish the race. I can't quite predict when that will be as they have over 40 miles to go and they may rest at some point. But my guess is, they will reach Nome around noon our time.

Post Posted: Mar 15, 2019 4:27 pm 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
What a wonderful finish by Jessie Holmes and Lance Mackey!!!
They traveled together the entire way from White Mt including a long rest at Safety.

In Nome as they came up the chute side by side, Jessie graciously allowed Lance to finish before him (by 5 seconds).

27th place Lance MacKey 11d 22h 41m 40s
28th place Jessie Holmes 11d 22h 41m 45s
:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

:multi: WTG guys!!! :multi:

There was a VERY warm reception for Lance. Lots of fans, friends and family.

A post race interview with Lance was rather touching. I could not catch all of it as the live feed was cutting out. But he was extremely happy with his race. I do not know if he said this is his last Iditarod or not???? But he did say his team of dogs will run this race again!

I am paraphrasing but he said, it doesn't matter how many get to Nome before you, once you cross under the burled arch you are a winner! We are all winners! I just won the Iditarod again!

Jessie Holmes said he was very happy with his race and would not change a thing. He said it was a very different experience than last year. Again paraphrasing, he said one of his favorite parts was resting in Koyuk and hanging out with the kids teaching them about dog care!

Two cool dudes!!!
:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

Post Posted: Mar 16, 2019 8:26 am 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Nine teams still racing. Six are veterans and 3 are rookies.

Cindy Gallea is currently resting in Elim and will likely be the Red Lantern Musher sometime tomorrow.
The Awards Banquet is tomorrow (Sunday) at 4pm (AK time). I hope everyone finishes soon enough to attend.

There are some awesome post race interviews on Iditarod.com. I do not know what content is available for free, but it's worth taking a look.

Over the past several years Iditarod.com has put it's focus on the Seavey's. No offense to Mitch or Dallas but I am grateful that the focus has shifted.

Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next