It is currently Nov 21, 2019 9:48 pm 

If you are looking for a new pet, click here for pets for needing adoption, rescue, or for sale.
Click here for lost/found pets and click here for pet related advertisements.

Image Rainbow Bridge page Image Add your fur baby here Image

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Re: 5 am dogs
Post Posted: Aug 6, 2019 12:15 pm 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Wily is correct as I have been familiar with some of the stories behind the sad barkers. Why leave your dog out all night? The dog doesn't love that, it wants to be with you. Plus, up here it is dangerous to leave dog out. If you are gone all day, have someone drop by to let dog out, some get very frantic waiting too long for you. They voice it loudly, poor things.

Post Posted: Aug 6, 2019 1:05 pm 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
chakraz wrote:
My point is, you can not expect zero barking but you can make an effort to quiet your dog.

Exactly. That was my point too. Dogs will bark from time to time and for the OP to want zero barks is an unreasonable request.

Angie is right: persistent barking it is not a dog issue, but a dog owner issue.

Post Posted: Aug 7, 2019 5:43 am 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
A follow-up on my post yesterday: Totally quiet this morning. Such a relief. Thank you to the owners who finally did something about it! It IS appreciated. May it continue! (I hope) :sleeping:

Post Posted: Aug 7, 2019 8:23 am 
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
there could be all kinds of reasons. Maybe the owners were out of town and someone was watching them or maybe one of the owners was in the hospital or something.

Once here I had barking dogs all day long and I went to find out where they were. I had a neighbor across the street here (they have since moved a couple of years ago) that raised Samoyeds. One of her daughters wanted a corgi, so mom gave in and got her a puppy.

I was home that summer during the day and the dogs were barking non stop all day. I felt bad for the dogs. I knew mom was at work (single mom) and kids at school so I went over to investigate. Oh and I had never met them officially yet. The dogs were in outside runs in the side yard, but one of the younger Samoyeds kept looking up the side yard to the back yard and barking barking barking. I could not get up there without getting in fence and gate was locked.

So I came home and wrote her a note about what I observed and that I really felt bad for the one that was so stressed out to be barking all day.

Turns out, it was the daughter of an adult female that was up in another run in the backyard. She was missing mommy. They had put the adult dogs up top and the younger one down with the Corgi puppy. They did not trust everyone to just leave the new puppy alone with all of the dogs.

Once she understood what was going on (she did not know because they were not home and when the girls got home from school all of the dogs were let out of runs so no more barking) she put mom and daughter back together. Problem solved. No more stressed dogs, no more barking.

Throughout the whole ordeal, my neighbor felt like I was working with her to help her solve the problem. I got lucky. I have heard of some owners being totally belligerent when approached. The approach could make the owners defensive. If the first words out of our mouths is "Can you do something about your dogs?!", I can see how the conversation would get off on the wrong foot. If the approach is sympathetic and one of wanting to help and inform, it could turn out differently. I will always give the dogs and owners the benefit of the doubt until the humans prove me otherwise.

If you have a pet you wish to add to the Rainbow Bridge Site, please either post in the Pet Forum Rainbow Bridge Page viewtopic.php?f=85&t=78851 or PM me with pet names you would like them added. If you have others already there, please give me their names so I can add your pet with them.

Post Posted: Aug 7, 2019 9:07 am 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
That was a really good way to handle the barking, find out why and then maybe there is a solution. Approach neighbor in a helpful way. Yes! Wily has the right idea.
My neighbor's dog was barking towards afternoon when they worked late. He was in a cage, likely needed to go potty. I let him out in yard (with permission) a few hours before they come home and happy dog! He is only caged until over chewing everything stage.
I know not all neighbors are cooperative but I bet most are.

Post Posted: Aug 7, 2019 10:14 am 
good neighborly support!

If you have a pet you wish to add to the Rainbow Bridge Site, please either post in the Pet Forum Rainbow Bridge Page viewtopic.php?f=85&t=78851 or PM me with pet names you would like them added. If you have others already there, please give me their names so I can add your pet with them.

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2