It is currently May 26, 2020 4:50 am 

If you are looking for a new pet, click here for pets for needing adoption, rescue, or for sale.
Click here for lost/found pets and click here for pet related advertisements.

Image Rainbow Bridge page Image Add your fur baby here Image

Reply to topic  [ 149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Re: I guess we have a cat now? (photos added)
Post Posted: Oct 13, 2019 6:18 am 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
DL, I think I remember you saying you had dogs, so you probably know this well: pets, including cats, have no concept whatever of DST. So, just be warned that in three weeks … that 4:30 wake-up call becomes 3:30! Good luck!

Post Posted: Oct 13, 2019 6:52 am 
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
keg - I have already thought about that. LOL

If we push Barney off the bed, he comes back biting and biting aggressively. This is what we are most alarmed about that he is going to hurt us.

Mr DL picks him up and puts him in the hallway and closes the door - that way he can't bite us.

Post Posted: Oct 13, 2019 9:52 am 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
I've had cats my whole life, but the two I have now are quite interesting. The one LOVES those rubber bracelets with various causes on them , carries them around at night like she caught a little snake or something. The other carries around this tiny santa hat that came off a little stuffed dog. One jumps on the bed while we're sleeping, purring, and if you don't pet her the love bites and face swat begins. We just learned to give pets in our sleep and she moves on. The other wants her treats the second your up or she'll jump repeatedly where you are until she gets them. And gets right in the middle of whatever you doing. Love these guys.

Post Posted: Oct 13, 2019 10:11 am 
I think the biting is a problem that you need to solve which I imagine you already know. If you do a search on biting kitten, there's a lot of websites that give advice. My cat Tonya never got into biting so I have no first hand experience on how to stop Barney.

Post Posted: Oct 13, 2019 10:19 am 
Thanks TillerBee - I'll search it out.

Post Posted: Oct 13, 2019 11:07 am 
you did get him fixed, right? it almost seems well... you know...

If you have a pet you wish to add to the Rainbow Bridge Site, please either post in the Pet Forum Rainbow Bridge Page viewtopic.php?f=85&t=78851 or PM me with pet names you would like them added. If you have others already there, please give me their names so I can add your pet with them.

Post Posted: Oct 13, 2019 11:12 am 
Oh, he was fixed months ago - vaccinated and the whole shebang! LOL

Post subject: Re: I guess we have a cat now? 3/15 Barney has a little sis
Post Posted: Mar 15, 2020 12:58 pm 
We spend the winters in deep south Texas - just this side of the Mexican border.

This is a small, agricultural community and not a resort area by any stretch of ANYONE's imagination. People here do not treat animals the same as they do in Colorado - or almost anywhere else for that matter.

On Friday, the 13th this skinny little black dog comes bounding up our driveway. We have a small mobile home - not in a park but in a part of the town where the lots are made for mobile homes.

We had some dog food and some treats. We carry dog food and cat food in the car and we stop to feed strays whenever we see them. But.............this little gal came right up to our gate so we let her in. She was infested with fleas! Most all dogs here are. We had a flea treatment from Daisy so we did that on Friday. We called a vet on Saturday morning to take her in to see if she had a chip (Yeah right :roll: )

Well, no chip. I told the vet's office that we were just going to keep her. They were all so surprised when we said we were keeping her. They asked if we wanted them to give her a look over and we did. We had to wait for about 30 minutes and they tested her for all the things down here.................which are substantial.

We waited a few minutes and the news was not the best.

1. She has a disease caused by a parasite from a tick bite.

2. The usual puppy worms and a couple more - and she was anemic from the worms.

3. A bit of mange on her ear flaps.

4. The flea infestation was severe.

5. All the vaccinations needed for her age.

They estimated her to be 11 weeks old - a miniature schnauzer mix and 7.2 lbs.

She was treated for everything in the office and sent home with the follow-up meds.

I was concerned about her because when we fed her, she couldn't stand to eat - she seemed so weak that she would lie down to eat.

However her temp was normal and she ate, drank, peed and pooped ok so that was a big plus. The vet thinks she will be just fine in a few months - completely recover from everything with the right care.

The cost of living down here is very much lower than Colorado. The vet bill for all these tests, meds, vaccines and a preventative treatment for Barney for fleas? Only $265.00! They asked all the time if they could do this test, give this vaccine, etc before doing anything. We said, just do what we can do to make her well. We were stunned!

So, welcome Lily Lu.................

After her flea bath at home - I'm pretty sure that this is her first bath ever. After her bath she and Barney met - They walked around each other and sniffed and growled and grumbled for a bit and then started chasing each other. Before long, Barney rolled over on his back and she jumped on his stomach and they rolled and rolled hugging each other and licking, kissing and biting each other............................we were scared but they were having a ball! WHEW - we were both so worried.

I could tell that Lily was getting tired - lots of vaccines along with other meds so I put her in her carrier and Barney meowed and cried by her and she cried too. Finally he jumped up on the top of her carrier and laid down...................she calmed right down and went to sleep. He jumped off then and went about his business - you know, Mr Big Cat has other things to do. LOL It was soooooooo sweet. I think all Barney needed was a playmate. Lily seemed like a different puppy after that Vet visit, medicine and a bath!

This is what Barney looks like now...............he has grown and he is quite the grumpy old boy. LOL

So that's the latest at the DL household. We are now a family of four! ;)

Post Posted: Mar 15, 2020 1:03 pm 
Stratospheric Poster!
Stratospheric Poster!
THANK YOU so much for that update.
Made my whole day!
Mrs. BGR

Post Posted: Mar 15, 2020 1:06 pm 
Ahh, Lily Lu is so cute. What a great "welcome home" story and how loving Barney was. Congratulations on the new furry friend!

Post Posted: Mar 15, 2020 1:13 pm 
Thanks - this is not what we envisioned for retirement but you roll with the punches and make the best out of it. LOL

Now we get to drive 1100 miles home with a cat AND a puppy? What were we thinking? LOL

Post Posted: Mar 15, 2020 1:16 pm 
You and Mr. DL were thinking with love.

Reply to topic  [ 149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next