It is currently Jul 19, 2019 12:23 am 

If you are looking for a new pet, click here for pets for needing adoption, rescue, or for sale.
Click here for lost/found pets and click here for pet related advertisements.

Image Rainbow Bridge page Image Add your fur baby here Image

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Help! Potty training a puppy
Post Posted: Jun 4, 2019 4:19 pm 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
:?

Help! I just recently bought a 4 month old puppy and I'm trying to get him potty trained to go outside. He knew about using a doggie door from previous owner and was good the first day or so but now he is peeing on my carpets in the house. I take him out as soon as he wakes up in the morning and goes out the doggie door and goes pee and then I praise him a lot. We are outside sometimes for a couple hours with him running around the yard but then I come in the house and he goes pee on the carpet. What do I need to do to get him to stop peeing in the house?? He was crate trained when I got him, but I haven't been using it. Need some advice!!

Post subject: Re: Help! Potty training a puppy
Post Posted: Jun 4, 2019 4:40 pm 
Prolific Pinecam Poster
Prolific Pinecam Poster
Treat him when he toilets outside along with praise, give dirty look and ignore when it happens inside. Dogs want to please. I have started all my dogs with bell training when they need to go outside. The bell goes away over time but a small treat when toileting in a place I want them to do it occurs through out their lives. A training collar if the dog is large enough, 35lbs+ and once 6 months old if continues. Instant telling a dog what they are doing is wrong is needed sometimes. I had one dog that started to pee on a floor outlet and never had an issue after. It was only a tingle, it was a GFC.

The concept that the Bill of Rights and other constitutional protections against arbitrary government are inoperant when they become inconvenient or when expediency dictates otherwise is a very dangerous doctrine and if allowed to flourish would destroy the benefit of a written Constitution and undermine the basis of our government. Justice Black

Post Posted: Jun 4, 2019 5:34 pm 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Take the puppy out frequently (every hour or so if you can) and to the same spot (near doggie door). DO NOT play yet, just take care of business and yes of course lots of praises. Then play if you want.

After playtime, take puppy to the pee spot before going back into the house. EVERYONE in the household has to use the exact same procedure, so you don't confuse the puppy (and slow down its learning).

Do not scold for accidents in the house. But when you are cleaning up the mess, if puppy comes to see what you are doing, you can make a low growl sound and give a disapproving look.

Unless it's a stupid dog, he will figure it out in a week or two. If it is takes longer than 3 weeks then some one is not be consistent with the training.

Puppies/dogs pee when excited. Take him outside BEFORE indoor playtime.

Do not get puppy excited when you come home. Keep him calm, immediately take puppy to potty spot, praise for doing his business and then you can give him an excited greeting.

BTW, it is good to have a command that you use when the puppy does its business. That way when you are away from home, he'll know what you want him to do when you point to a spot and give the command.

But DO NOT use a command you might use in a different circumstance. "Hurry up" is not a good command if it is something that you say to spouse/kids from time to time. :lol:

Good luck.
And we want to see pictures of your new family member.

Post Posted: Jun 4, 2019 6:17 pm 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
CooknThyme wrote:
Take the puppy out frequently (every hour or so if you can) and to the same spot (near doggie door). DO NOT play yet, just take care of business and yes of course lots of praises. Then play if you want.

After playtime, take puppy to the pee spot before going back into the house. EVERYONE in the household has to use the exact same procedure, so you don't confuse the puppy (and slow down its learning).

Do not scold for accidents in the house. But when you are cleaning up the mess, if puppy comes to see what you are doing, you can make a low growl sound and give a disapproving look.

Unless it's a stupid dog, he will figure it out in a week or two. If it is takes longer than 3 weeks then some one is not be consistent with the training.

Puppies/dogs pee when excited. Take him outside BEFORE indoor playtime.

Do not get puppy excited when you come home. Keep him calm, immediately take puppy to potty spot, praise for doing his business and then you can give him an excited greeting.

BTW, it is good to have a command that you use when the puppy does its business. That way when you are away from home, he'll know what you want him to do when you point to a spot and give the command.

But DO NOT use a command you might use in a different circumstance. "Hurry up" is not a good command if it is something that you say to spouse/kids from time to time. :lol:

Good luck.
And we want to see pictures of your new family member.

That's damn good advice ...

Post Posted: Jun 5, 2019 5:56 am 
Scanner Monitor
Scanner Monitor
CooknThyme wrote:

This is true! The first time I taught my dogs to go on command, I had heard a man in a park say very loudly, "go take a :bleep!: I didn't like the sound of that :lol: and felt silly using the word "potty" so I went with "go and hurry up". It did confuse the dogs occasionally, but sounded a lot better, and I always used the same tone of voice. That training comes in handy in other situations like when traveling.

I had a girl whom I taught to get me a can of Coke during medical emergencies. It had to be a very unique word, so I went with "escucha", Spanish for "listen!" and always said it in an urgent way.

It's kind of fun to do the impossible.

Be compassionate, understanding and kind. You never know who is
this close to giving up.

Post Posted: Jun 5, 2019 6:43 am 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
:lol: That's funny AL.

My last dog the command was "go pee" but it morphed into goppi.

The dog before was a very clear "go pee" and "go poop". Upon command he would immediately assume the proper position, but he didn't always take care of business. He associated the command only with the stance not the activity. Silly pooch!

I knew a guy who adopted a retired K9 cop and all the commands were in German! Quite appropriate for GSD.

It doesn't matter the word(s) just a consistent sound, tone and energy behind the word(s).

But if your no word is "no", then never use an activity command that sounds even remotely like "no".
And NEVER name your dog with a name that sounds similar to your "no word". E.g., Juneau is a terrible name for a dog. But if you must then change your "no word" to nay.

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ]