It is currently Oct 22, 2019 5:31 pm 

Do you or someone you know need some help with a project?
Click here to contact the Neighborhood Action Team.

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: FYI from Jeffco Sheriff
Post Posted: Jun 3, 2019 1:18 pm 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
Just got this in my email:

2020 General Fund Reduction Impact

In April, I received instructions from the County Manager’s Office to reduce the Sheriff’s Office general fund budget for 2020 by 7%, or $6.7 million. This decrease raises significant concern regarding the overall safety of our community. Therefore my executive staff and I have been working to identify priorities and better understand the potential consequences of the proposed cuts. While there may be opportunities for small savings elsewhere within the JCSO, the greatest impact will be to the detentions facility.

The reduction of personnel costs necessary to meet the requested budget cut equates to a decrease of 400 - 600 jail beds. In addition, such a significant reduction in available beds would result in the elimination of the U.S. Marshals contract, roughly a $1.8 million revenue loss. Put simply, by holding vacancies open to reduce detentions staffing levels, jail capacity decreases by as much as 44%. All remaining beds would need to be utilized for local inmates and detainees rather than reserved for federal prisoners.

Unfortunately these – reduced jail capacity and lost revenue – are not the only considerations complicating the JCSO’s budget planning process. The County’s decision to retain vacancy savings while also charging termination pay-outs back to the affected department will result in an estimated additional $1.3 million decrease to the Sheriff’s Office general fund budget of $98 million. Combining the 7% proposed budget cut, loss of the U. S. Marshals contract, and the recent County policy change regarding vacancy savings and termination pay-outs, the total net impact to the JCSO for 2020 is approximately $10 million.

Over the past several weeks I have initiated discussions about the County’s budget reduction proposal with JCSO command staff and employees, our Citizens Advisory Council members, and other stakeholders, including local police chiefs. All are in agreement that it is imperative the County engage in a prioritization solution rather than pursuing across-the-board cuts that will have a significant and regrettable impact on public safety. And all will be kept informed of additional County directives and their subsequent budgetary repercussions.

Barring a different approach, however, and based on the consequences illustrated above, steps must be taken now to mitigate the potential impact to the public’s safety. Primarily by implementing a moratorium on hiring for non-critical positions. Unfortunately such a restrictive hiring policy will result in
• The inability to hire or promote key staff that would ensure the long-term success of the JCSO, achieve our strategic goals, and advance our succession planning processes
• An immediate reduction of jail beds, thus prohibiting the application of our Jail Use Plan, which incorporates the additional 22 FTEs for detention deputies approved by the Board of County Commissioners one year ago

It is important to note, however, that as we consider additional cost-savings during 2019, the following criteria will also factor into all budgetary decisions for the JCSO:
• Avoiding any lay-offs
• Maintaining our hard-sought merit-based step increases for all employees

Ultimately it is my hope the Board of County Commissioners and the County Manager’s Office will reconsider the proposed across-the-board cuts, prioritize public safety, and reverse recent decisions or directives that have significant adverse implications for Jefferson County residents. The Sheriff’s Office is committed to being actively involved with the BCC, County Manager’s Office, and other County officials in identifying suitable solutions to the projected 2020 budget deficit to ensure Jefferson County continues to be a safe place for all people to live, learn, work, and play.

Post subject: Re: FYI from Jeffco Sheriff
Post Posted: Jun 3, 2019 2:32 pm 
Whoa momma! A top Pinecam poster!
I am a little confused. If the U.S. marshals contract is a money making situation why would it need to be cut if it supports itself/makes money? Apparently it costs money if it needs to be cut when the budget is cut. And if it is not a money maker, then why is Jeffco donating resources to house federal prisoners?

Post Posted: Jun 3, 2019 6:14 pm 
Stratospheric Poster!
Stratospheric Poster!
daisypusher wrote:
I am a little confused. If the U.S. marshals contract is a money making situation why would it need to be cut if it supports itself/makes money? Apparently it costs money if it needs to be cut when the budget is cut. And if it is not a money maker, then why is Jeffco donating resources to house federal prisoners?

I think they are saying that the budget cut doesn't allow for extra beds which could be used by the Federal inmates and thus the loss of that contract. It seems like a case where you're trying to cut a small amount of budget which has a bigger effect. I wonder why they need a "cut" in the first place. Looking at my tax statement last year, the amounts for the county all went up! The new assessment seem to indicate that taxes will go up again next year so what gives. There must be something else eating a lot of budget causing these "cuts".
Maybe the issue is:
"Avoiding any lay-offs
• Maintaining our hard-sought merit-based step increases for all employees"

and there needs to be "fat-trimming" somewhere else.

Post Posted: Jun 3, 2019 8:38 pm 
Prolific Pinecam Poster
Prolific Pinecam Poster
Perhaps, this is an opportunity for the Park county Jail?

Be proactive, Sheriff McGraw and Park County Commissioners!

Post Posted: Jun 3, 2019 9:06 pm 
New Poster
https://www.denverpost.com/2019/04/25/j ... dget-cuts/
"A looming budget cut at the Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office that could have a dire impact on jail operations may trigger a larger discussion about whether TABOR, the Colorado law that limits the growth of government spending, needs to be tamed in this county of nearly 600,000."

Post Posted: Jun 3, 2019 10:18 pm 
Prolific Pinecam Poster
Prolific Pinecam Poster
don't let yourself be fooled!
It is the government spending that needs to be tamed! Not TABOR.

Post Posted: Jun 4, 2019 5:40 am 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
Scalawagy wrote:

:yeah that:

Post Posted: Jun 4, 2019 6:27 am 
Stratospheric Poster!
Stratospheric Poster!
Scalawagy wrote:

Exactly. When I have unexpected expenses pop up, or when my "revenue" doesn't increase, I have to find a way to deal with it to make it work. Government needs to be the same way. The problem isn't government revenue...it's how government spends it.

Post Posted: Jun 4, 2019 6:46 am 
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
Bailey Guns wrote:
Scalawagy wrote:

Exactly. When I have unexpected expenses pop up, or when my "revenue" doesn't increase, I have to find a way to deal with it to make it work. Government needs to be the same way. The problem isn't government revenue...it's how government spends it.

:exactly: I have to cut back on something else if my revenue doesn't support something new that I want. :yeah that:

Post Posted: Jun 4, 2019 6:47 am 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
This, while population continues to increase, and Colorado is reported to be the number one economy in the US? It sounds like a sanctuary state ploy- “sorry, no beds for the feds”.

Post Posted: Jun 4, 2019 7:08 am 
shells2bells2002 wrote:
https://www.denverpost.com/2019/04/25/jefferson-county-tabor-sheriff-budget-cuts/
"A looming budget cut at the Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office that could have a dire impact on jail operations may trigger a larger discussion about whether TABOR, the Colorado law that limits the growth of government spending, needs to be tamed in this county of nearly 600,000."

Quote:
Jefferson County has hit the TABOR cap each of the last four years, and therefore had to return $111 million to taxpayers, according to Holly Bjorklund, the county’s director of Strategy, Innovation & Finance.

I did not have any money returned to me? It sounds like government speak to me - most likely it is $111 million less of an increase.... By budgeting and calculating even bigger budgets - they could have returned more of our money. I could have used it. 8) If they applied the law (TABOR) to their projected budgets, then they would not have to give money back.... 8O

If it works for Jefferson County Schools to threaten a reduction of services to increase taxes, we should expect the county to do so as well.

Also with the Dems taking over CO - what do you expect - more taxes.

Post Posted: Jun 4, 2019 8:30 am 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
Bailey Guns wrote:
Scalawagy wrote:

They've been scheming for years for ways to get rid of TABOR. Sounds like the latest scheme is to cut LE, decriminalize drugs, and we the law-abiding citizens can fend for ourselves. When things get out of hand enough they believe that we'll all scream "uncle" and repeal TABOR.

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next