It is currently Jul 17, 2019 11:19 am 

Do you or someone you know need some help with a project?
Click here to contact the Neighborhood Action Team.

Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: North Park County
Post Posted: Apr 27, 2019 3:25 am 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
Does anyone recall when Park County, north of highway 285 was gerrymandered into Congressional District 2?

Post subject: Re: North Park County
Post Posted: Apr 27, 2019 4:20 am 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster

I'm trying to figure out what feature (if any) was used to determine the congressional district line that divides Park County.

Post Posted: Apr 27, 2019 5:46 am 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
these 2 links may help, but you seem to be on the same page, and it was after 2010 census but not sure how the boundary was determined and still looking.
https://ballotpedia.org/Colorado%27s_2nd_Congressional_District#Redistricting
https://ballotpedia.org/Colorado%27s_2nd_Congressional_District

Post Posted: Apr 27, 2019 6:01 am 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
Thanks zchopper. I'm perusing the site's pages and trying to figure out how the tiny population of my area got swallowed by the 2nd district which doesn't reflect our politics by a long shot. There has been a federal ruling that might apply and I'd like to generate some interest to do something about the contradicting representation.

Post Posted: Apr 27, 2019 12:08 pm 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
Yep, wait til denver and boulder decide every single election from here on out with their "popular" vote.

Post Posted: Apr 27, 2019 1:51 pm 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
Denver and Boulder may as well be on another planet! Noway in hell do they have anything in common with the people living in north Park County!

Post Posted: Apr 27, 2019 8:33 pm 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
The cancer spreads my friend...
Electoral college abolished, undermining parents in sex ed for kids, sanctuary state(not just denver), red flag bill, and the list goes on and on. Look out, this is just the start.

Post Posted: Apr 27, 2019 9:00 pm 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
I'm waiting on a reply from a political acquaintance that's close to the situation to see what can be done to recover the north chunk and get back under the umbrella. I don't imagine there would be a party swing that close to Denver any time soon. However, gerrymandering is currently under attack by the federal courts, so the timing might be right. Dunno... maybe start a petition to bring it to someone with clout that wants to be elected or increase their number of constituents.

Post Posted: Apr 28, 2019 10:19 am 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
copadrino wrote:
I'm waiting on a reply from a political acquaintance that's close to the situation to see what can be done to recover the north chunk and get back under the umbrella. I don't imagine there would be a party swing that close to Denver any time soon. However, gerrymandering is currently under attack by the federal courts, so the timing might be right. Dunno... maybe start a petition to bring it to someone with clout that wants to be elected or increase their number of constituents.

i was reading about the "FiveThirtyEight's elasticity scores" methodology(first link) and in all honesty only a politician would come up with c-rap like this? can't stand when they ask about "your demographics". it appears that our politicians are using the "electoral system" to statistically alter the rural voters into a more segregated vote that would support the "popular vote" theory? just a thought and not sure if possible that district boundaries should include whole counties and not be integrated or contaminated across other counties.

found this site to be of interest with representative statistics & mapping: https://www.govtrack.us/congress/members/CO#representatives

Post Posted: Apr 28, 2019 10:52 am 
Stratospheric Poster!
Stratospheric Poster!
copadrino wrote:

I'm trying to figure out what feature (if any) was used to determine the congressional district line that divides Park County.

The same time the more rural areas of Jeffco were also put in this *%!%@% district! We are now a forever stuck blue district. We used to be in the more appropriate 6th district - which just went blue as well with this gerrymandering!
That was the real purpose of this change - to flip the 6th district as 2 hasn't changed.

[quote=="zchopper62"]these 2 links may help, but you seem to be on the same page, and it was after 2010 census but not sure how the boundary was determined and still looking.
https://ballotpedia.org/Colorado%27s_2n ... istricting
https://ballotpedia.org/Colorado%27s_2n ... l_District[/quote]

The map in the 1st link is INCORRECT. The map is correct in the second link.

Post Posted: Apr 28, 2019 11:04 am 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
zchopper62 wrote:
... not sure if possible that district boundaries should include whole counties and not be integrated or contaminated across other counties.

There are no such rules which are evidenced by some of the most cockamamie district boundaries throughout the nation. I feel in this case, the representation is so off-base that it should be considered. It just so happens that the bulk of districts in Colorado do adhere to county lines and Park and a few others are the only split counties. Gerrymandering any state district is nearly always a way to "conquer territory" under the guise of the census for the sole purpose of political encroachment that can't be obtained by a vote... aka, the will of the people. I find it hard to believe that with the growth of the population in the big cities in District 2, that the need to encumber the small number of politically opposed voters of northern Park County is necessary. The federal government has recently stepped in, examined such circumstances, deemed it unconstitutional and corrected the boundaries. I'm just putting the idea out there while the iron is hot. I'm looking into what is necessary to organize a challenge.

Post Posted: Apr 28, 2019 12:41 pm 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
Districts are redrawn after every census. In the past this was done by the state legislature. Whichever party held power at the time drew the lines for their benefit. There was a ballot measure in the last election to form a bipartisan commission to do this in the future. I don't remember if it passed. I hope so because boundaries will be done again after the coming census. It is expected that Colorado will pick up an eighth congressional seat, so that will throw a wrench into things.

Great peace have they who love Thy law, and nothing shall offend them... Ps 118:165

Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next