It is currently Jul 21, 2019 9:16 pm 

Do you or someone you know need some help with a project?
Click here to contact the Neighborhood Action Team.

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Re: Road Conditions March 14th?
Post Posted: Mar 14, 2019 1:17 pm 
Whoa momma! A top Pinecam poster!
sierralady93 wrote:
Hi. I'm a new post here and still trying to figure out how to do this! Re road conditions: I live way off 285 but a plow came by around noon. Since we're at the bottom of the priority list I hope everywhere else is doing OK. Wasn't that some storm for a while?!

Thanks for the heads up! I feel pretty safe going to the grocery store now.

Yep, that was a hum-dinger of a storm! It is inconvenient, but I always am happy for all the moisture we can get in our dry climate. It is worth the temporary inconvenience.

This summer, we'll be enjoying the wildflowers instead of worrying about the next wildfire!

"The Framers of the Constitution knew that free speech is the friend of change and revolution. But they also knew that it is always the deadliest enemy of tyranny. "
~Hugo Black~

Post Posted: Mar 14, 2019 1:28 pm 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
sierralady93 wrote:
Hi. I'm a new post here and still trying to figure out how to do this! Re road conditions: I live way off 285 but a plow came by around noon. Since we're at the bottom of the priority list I hope everywhere else is doing OK. Wasn't that some storm for a while?!

Welcome ...

Post Posted: Mar 14, 2019 1:35 pm 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
Rubicon--I've lived in Bailey area for 45 years (yikes!). Worst storms were in early 1980s when we'd get 3' of snow each storm. Once I was snowed in for 5 days with no power! Now I try to keep the pantry full, but never fails that it snows whenever I run out of food. Hooray, mountain dwellers! We are a hardy bunch.

Post Posted: Mar 14, 2019 1:40 pm 
G-BONC wrote:
sierralady93 wrote:

Welcome ...

Yes, Welcome! :hugegrin:

sierralady93 wrote:
Rubicon--I've lived in Bailey area for 45 years (yikes!). Worst storms were in early 1980s when we'd get 3' of snow each storm. Once I was snowed in for 5 days with no power! Now I try to keep the pantry full, but never fails that it snows whenever I run out of food. Hooray, mountain dwellers! We are a hardy bunch.

I moved here in June of 1996, and I came from the hot climate of Texas. I didn't even own a coat when I got here. Our first snow was a 3-foot blizzard the next October, that shut down everything on the front range. That was a fast education, I can assure you! :yikes:

"The Framers of the Constitution knew that free speech is the friend of change and revolution. But they also knew that it is always the deadliest enemy of tyranny. "
~Hugo Black~

Post Posted: Mar 14, 2019 3:13 pm 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
I think the beauty of our spring snowstorms is two-fold. First, the storms tend to be more potent and moisture-laden bringing lots of water to our semi-arid world. Second, this time of year the sun is higher in the sky, warmer, and stays up longer. So if CDOT, the County, or a homeowner can just get the snow scrapped off the road, that little change in the albedo of the road surface causes a rapid melting of snow and ice....leaving us dry surfaces to drive on. All I see is a win-win if you can keep your car out of the ditch for the day or two that we are inconvenienced by these God-send storms. I've seen major snowstorms here and I've seen catastrophic wildland fires here....and I'll take the snowstorms ANY day of the week. :)

Post Posted: Mar 14, 2019 3:21 pm 
Lionshead wrote:
I think the beauty of our spring snowstorms is two-fold. First, the storms tend to be more potent and moisture-laden bringing lots of water to our semi-arid world. Second, this time of year the sun is higher in the sky, warmer, and stays up longer. So if CDOT, the County, or a homeowner can just get the snow scrapped off the road, that little change in the albedo of the road surface causes a rapid melting of snow and ice....leaving us dry surfaces to drive on. All I see is a win-win if you can keep your car out of the ditch for the day or two that we are inconvenienced by these God-send storms. I've seen major snowstorms here and I've seen catastrophic wildland fires here....and I'll take the snowstorms ANY day of the week. :)

Oh, I agree! I love these spring snows! I just want to deal with them wisely and not go out when it isn't safe. Yesterday, I had a doctor's appointment. My doctor's office is exactly 1.5 miles from my house and on a normal day it takes me 5 minutes to get there. But yesterday, I kept my appointment thinking it is so close that it wouldn't matter. Well, it did matter - I regretted going out even before I left my street! That was the most stressful 10 minutes I've had in a very long time! :snowflake:

~Hugo Black~

Post Posted: Mar 15, 2019 7:52 am 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
Rubicon wrote:
Lionshead wrote:

Oh, I agree! I love these spring snows! I just want to deal with them wisely and not go out when it isn't safe. Yesterday, I had a doctor's appointment. My doctor's office is exactly 1.5 miles from my house and on a normal day it takes me 5 minutes to get there. But yesterday, I kept my appointment thinking it is so close that it wouldn't matter. Well, it did matter - I regretted going out even before I left my street! That was the most stressful 10 minutes I've had in a very long time! :snowflake:

I hear ya. In fact, I too had a doctor's appointment. In Highlands Ranch! The weather guy was saying the snow would switch to rain down there around 10 AM. I thought to myself, "do I want to be part of the C470 Demolition Derby when the rain changes to snow while drivers continue to ignore Newton's Laws of Physics." An easy decision. I'll see that doctor next month. :)

As for how so many people got stuck out on I-25, I-70, Pena Blvd, or more locally with such a well-predicted storm is beyond me. I'm very concerned for the future of humanity now that common sense has exited stage left. :)

Post Posted: Mar 15, 2019 8:40 am 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Lionshead wrote:
As for how so many people got stuck out on I-25, I-70, Pena Blvd, or more locally with such a well-predicted storm is beyond me. I'm very concerned for the future of humanity now that common sense has exited stage left. :)

I myself put at least partial blame on the local media, who insist on sensationalizing every single sniff of snow. I think people get desensitized to these reports after a while (I know I do). I'd like to see the media regain some sort of rational perspective on the reporting of weather conditions, so that when it is obvious that a historical event is imminent then they can put the proper emphasis on it.

Post Posted: Mar 15, 2019 10:22 am 
keg wrote:
Lionshead wrote:

I myself put at least partial blame on the local media, who insist on sensationalizing every single sniff of snow. I think people get desensitized to these reports after a while (I know I do). I'd like to see the media regain some sort of rational perspective on the reporting of weather conditions, so that when it is obvious that a historical event is imminent then they can put the proper emphasis on it.

Except that wouldn't sell, would it??? :lol:

~Hugo Black~

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2