It is currently Oct 20, 2019 4:33 pm 

Do you or someone you know need some help with a project?
Click here to contact the Neighborhood Action Team.

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Road Conditions March 14th?
Post Posted: Mar 14, 2019 10:47 am 
Whoa momma! A top Pinecam poster!
The roads were cleary hideous yesterday and at some point, the snow plows stopped running. Today, the weather is better, but I was wondering if the roads are more passable than they were yesterday.

The street in front of my house looks pretty messy, but it is passable. How are the main roads?

How about it?

Has anyone ventured out today? Is it advisable to stay home another day?

"The Framers of the Constitution knew that free speech is the friend of change and revolution. But they also knew that it is always the deadliest enemy of tyranny. "
~Hugo Black~

Post subject: Re: Road Conditions March 14th?
Post Posted: Mar 14, 2019 11:50 am 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
Rubicon, I don't think that the plow trucks simply quit but with a storm of that magnitude it was apparent that they just couldn't keep up with Mother Nature. If you know anyone that works for C-Dot or one of the county Road and Bridge Departments you might applaud them for all the hours they put in and all the hard work they do. Not to mention all the family plans they have to forego because they are out plowing the roads & highways for us or maybe getting some sleep so they can go back out to plow some more. Just saying ...

Last edited by birdwoman on Mar 14, 2019 12:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post Posted: Mar 14, 2019 11:57 am 
birdwoman wrote:
Rubicon, I don't think that the plow trucks simply quit but it was apparent that they just couldn't keep up with Mother Nature. If you know anyone that works for C-Dot or one of the county Road and Bridge Departments you might applaud them for all the hours they put in and all the hard work they do. Just saying ...

8O Wow. Birdwoman, It never entered my mind to complain that the plows weren't running and your comment surprises me because I didn't intend anything at all other than to say that the plows had to stop. Which is a fact - the plows did stop and for good reason. The reason they stopped was that there were downed power lines and it was dangerous to continue. I don't blame them for one single moment for calling the plows off the job - If I had been in a position to make that decision, I'd have done the same. Clear roads are simply not worth putting people's lives in danger.

I absolutely DO applaud them and the only point of my post was to ask for information about today's travel conditions. I wonder if you can explain how my question suggested in any way that I was complaining?

So, do you have any information about the road conditions today? Just sayn'.

"The Framers of the Constitution knew that free speech is the friend of change and revolution. But they also knew that it is always the deadliest enemy of tyranny. "
~Hugo Black~

Last edited by Rubicon on Mar 14, 2019 12:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post Posted: Mar 14, 2019 12:00 pm 
Infrequent Pinecam poster
Infrequent Pinecam poster
Biggest issue is likely getting out of the driveway! Conifer Mountain and Kennedy Gulch were plowed and sanded. A bit snowpacked and slushy but not in bad shape. 285 in Conifer through Aspen Park was just wet. Roads in Aspen Park were similar to Conifer Mountain - plowed and sanded but slushy and messy.

I certainly applaud those who had to work in very difficult conditions yesterday and today to keep the roads clear!

Kevin

Post Posted: Mar 14, 2019 12:03 pm 
BlizzardMtnPinball wrote:
Biggest issue is likely getting out of the driveway! Conifer Mountain and Kennedy Gulch were plowed and sanded. A bit snowpacked and slushy but not in bad shape. 285 in Conifer through Aspen Park was just wet. Roads in Aspen Park were similar to Conifer Mountain - plowed and sanded but slushy and messy.

I certainly applaud those who had to work in very difficult conditions yesterday and today to keep the roads clear!

Kevin

Thank you for the information, Kevin! And I agree - the conditions yesterday were clearly not appropriate for anyone to be out and about - even the snow plows. I am very grateful for all they do to keep our roads clear and safe.

~Hugo Black~

Post Posted: Mar 14, 2019 12:26 pm 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
Birdwoman - I don't think anybody was saying anything derogatory about the plows! The plow drivers get paid for plowing and when necessary they get overtime, no more of inconvenience to the family as anybody else that works and sometimes has to unexpectedly work when not scheduled.

Post Posted: Mar 14, 2019 12:31 pm 
Stratospheric Poster!
Stratospheric Poster!
So how about those road conditions?

Mountain folk see the mountains when they drive.
City folk who live in the mountains only see the bumper of the car in front of them.

Post Posted: Mar 14, 2019 12:34 pm 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
Perhaps it was the first sentence of Rubicon's initial post that might have indicated otherwise. Depending on the direction of travel, the CDOT cameras show wet with some icy conditions on Highway 285. Thanks all.

Post Posted: Mar 14, 2019 12:42 pm 
birdwoman wrote:
Perhaps it was the first sentence of Rubicon's initial post that might have indicated otherwise. Depending on the direction of travel, the CDOT cameras show wet with some icy conditions on Highway 285. Thanks all.

The first sentence of my post had absolutely nothing to do with the snow plows. It was an accurate observation of the weather. I don't know how anyone could have read something else into that.

~Hugo Black~

Post Posted: Mar 14, 2019 12:52 pm 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
Rubicon wrote:
The roads were cleary hideous yesterday and at some point, the snow plows stopped running. Today, the weather is better, but I was wondering if the roads are more passable than they were yesterday.

The street in front of my house looks pretty messy, but it is passable. How are the main roads?

How about it?

I've just got home, CR43 is OK except for the shaded parts.

Yesterday I saw a plow in the median, the reason he ended up there was he didn't have enough traction for the mass of wet snow in his blade. That pushed him off the highway ... they did their best as usual.

Post Posted: Mar 14, 2019 12:57 pm 
G-BONC wrote:
Rubicon wrote:

How about it?

I've just got home, CR43 is OK except for the shaded parts.

Yesterday I saw a plow in the median, the reason he ended up there was he didn't have enough traction for the mass of wet snow in his blade. That pushed him off the highway ... they did their best as usual.

Thank you!

~Hugo Black~

Post Posted: Mar 14, 2019 1:03 pm 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
Hi. I'm a new post here and still trying to figure out how to do this! Re road conditions: I live way off 285 but a plow came by around noon. Since we're at the bottom of the priority list I hope everywhere else is doing OK. Wasn't that some storm for a while?!

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next