It is currently May 26, 2019 5:07 am 




Do you or someone you know need some help with a project?
Click here to contact the Neighborhood Action Team.



Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Previous topic | Next topic 

  Print view

Offline 
 Post subject: Re: AMI Meters (Smart Meters) coming soon
Post Posted: Mar 13, 2019 6:58 pm 
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
User avatar
Joined: Dec 8, 2003 6:53 pm
Posts: 37616
Location: Riding the Bailey ghost train
I've never seen good science indicting EMFs. I have serious doubts about lower costs to consumers for power because that's not what happened elsewhere.

_________________
Image Socialism: trickle up poverty. Why are we running out of money for social security but not welfare?


Top
  Profile  
Reply with quote  
Offline 
 Post subject: Re: AMI Meters (Smart Meters) coming soon
Post Posted: Mar 13, 2019 8:23 pm 
Whoa momma! A top Pinecam poster!
Whoa momma! A top Pinecam poster!
User avatar
Joined: Dec 28, 2006 1:22 pm
Posts: 1969
Location: In the grave
IMO it is about control. Once it is in place there are many options available for additional personal regulation/control of power usage that currently is not available. I am not saying that is the plan, but after the installation there is the ability and if there is an ability, regulations/controls can be legistated and implemented - perhaps as part of the Green New Deal!


Top
  Profile  
Reply with quote  
Offline 
 Post subject: Re: AMI Meters (Smart Meters) coming soon
Post Posted: Mar 13, 2019 11:05 pm 
Stratospheric Poster!
Stratospheric Poster!
User avatar
Joined: Aug 14, 2004 1:56 pm
Posts: 5677
Location: Shaffers Crossing
As much as I hate the concept of the "Green New Deal" and government control, I still have zero concern about this. 80 million customers in the US are already using this! I still have not heard any concerns or disasters happening!


Top
  Profile  
Reply with quote  
Offline 
 Post subject: Re: AMI Meters (Smart Meters) coming soon
Post Posted: Mar 13, 2019 11:41 pm 
Whoa momma! A top Pinecam poster!
Whoa momma! A top Pinecam poster!
User avatar
Joined: Dec 28, 2006 1:22 pm
Posts: 1969
Location: In the grave
sunsetinthepines wrote:
As much as I hate the concept of the "Green New Deal" and government control, I still have zero concern about this. 80 million customers in the US are already using this! I still have not heard any concerns or disasters happening!


Cool - we will see out it turns out over the next decade or two.


Top
  Profile  
Reply with quote  
Offline 
 Post subject: Re: AMI Meters (Smart Meters) coming soon
Post Posted: Mar 15, 2019 11:32 am 
Prolific Pinecam Poster
Prolific Pinecam Poster
User avatar
Joined: Apr 27, 2007 9:57 am
Posts: 925
Meet-up Tomorrow SAT 3/16, 10:30am
Coffee Shack
12 Rosalie Rd.


Top
  Profile  
Reply with quote  
Offline 
 Post subject: Re: AMI Meters (Smart Meters) coming soon
Post Posted: Mar 15, 2019 3:11 pm 
Stratospheric Poster!
Stratospheric Poster!
User avatar
Joined: Aug 14, 2004 1:56 pm
Posts: 5677
Location: Shaffers Crossing
cscitney87 wrote:
So the argument in favor of smart meters is, we are already surrounded by possible carcinogenic radiation - what is the harm in adding more? Is that similar to the "we all have to die sometime" argument?


Well if you want to put it that way then YES! With the new AMI meters we might on average die 1 second earlier in our life due to excess exposure.
...BUT.. I'll GAIN 5 seconds due to less air pollution caused by IREA trips to deal with meters and another whole HOUR by making fewer cell phone calls to customer service reporting power outages because now they will already know that...

Wow - I'm going to live LONGER now!
:gotcha:


Top
  Profile  
Reply with quote  
Offline 
 Post subject: Re: AMI Meters (Smart Meters) coming soon
Post Posted: Mar 15, 2019 8:06 pm 
Prolific Pinecam Poster
Prolific Pinecam Poster
Joined: Feb 17, 2008 5:05 pm
Posts: 819
Location: Bailey
sunsetinthepines wrote:
cscitney87 wrote:
So the argument in favor of smart meters is, we are already surrounded by possible carcinogenic radiation - what is the harm in adding more? Is that similar to the "we all have to die sometime" argument?


Well if you want to put it that way then YES! With the new AMI meters we might on average die 1 second earlier in our life due to excess exposure.
...BUT.. I'll GAIN 5 seconds due to less air pollution caused by IREA trips to deal with meters and another whole HOUR by making fewer cell phone calls to customer service reporting power outages because now they will already know that...

Wow - I'm going to live LONGER now!
:gotcha:


Is this theory proven by a computer generated algorithm, and have the consensus of NASA scientists?
or are we just going with common sense?!


Top
  Profile  
Reply with quote  
Offline 
 Post subject: Re: AMI Meters (Smart Meters) coming soon
Post Posted: Mar 15, 2019 10:32 pm 
Stratospheric Poster!
Stratospheric Poster!
User avatar
Joined: Aug 14, 2004 1:56 pm
Posts: 5677
Location: Shaffers Crossing
Scalawagy wrote:
sunsetinthepines wrote:
cscitney87 wrote:
So the argument in favor of smart meters is, we are already surrounded by possible carcinogenic radiation - what is the harm in adding more? Is that similar to the "we all have to die sometime" argument?


Well if you want to put it that way then YES! With the new AMI meters we might on average die 1 second earlier in our life due to excess exposure.
...BUT.. I'll GAIN 5 seconds due to less air pollution caused by IREA trips to deal with meters and another whole HOUR by making fewer cell phone calls to customer service reporting power outages because now they will already know that...

Wow - I'm going to live LONGER now!
:gotcha:


Is this theory proven by a computer generated algorithm, and have the consensus of NASA scientists?
or are we just going with common sense?!

I work in the space industry and even I will take common sense over NASA scientists!


Top
  Profile  
Reply with quote  
Offline 
 Post subject: Re: AMI Meters (Smart Meters) coming soon
Post Posted: Mar 16, 2019 9:08 am 
Prolific Pinecam Poster
Prolific Pinecam Poster
User avatar
Joined: Apr 27, 2007 9:57 am
Posts: 925
sunsetinthepines wrote:
Scalawagy wrote:
sunsetinthepines wrote:
cscitney87 wrote:
So the argument in favor of smart meters is, we are already surrounded by possible carcinogenic radiation - what is the harm in adding more? Is that similar to the "we all have to die sometime" argument?


Well if you want to put it that way then YES! With the new AMI meters we might on average die 1 second earlier in our life due to excess exposure.
...BUT.. I'll GAIN 5 seconds due to less air pollution caused by IREA trips to deal with meters and another whole HOUR by making fewer cell phone calls to customer service reporting power outages because now they will already know that...

Wow - I'm going to live LONGER now!
:gotcha:


Is this theory proven by a computer generated algorithm, and have the consensus of NASA scientists?
or are we just going with common sense?!

I work in the space industry and even I will take common sense over NASA scientists!

:coffee screen: nice

Stop by Coffee Shack around 10:30 if anybody wants to come.


Top
  Profile  
Reply with quote  
Offline 
 Post subject: Re: AMI Meters (Smart Meters) coming soon
Post Posted: Mar 20, 2019 10:28 am 
Prolific Pinecam Poster
Prolific Pinecam Poster
User avatar
Joined: Apr 27, 2007 9:57 am
Posts: 925
A couple of things - There is a discussion about the IREA board election but for some reason it has been moved to the Study. There is some good discussion about candidates and issues.

Also, we had a good meeting Saturday morning (Coffee Shack is a nice place for small groups).
We have some good info that we are going to be bringing to meeting tomorrow morning.

Also, we have an online meeting group that we are starting, if you are interested in being added in, PM me your email address and I will add you.
We are going to have a test meeting around 6:30pm this evening.

If anyone is interested in carpooling tomorrow, let me know, maybe we can work something out. Sedalia is a bit far.


Top
  Profile  
Reply with quote  
Offline 
 Post subject: Re: AMI Meters (Smart Meters) coming soon
Post Posted: Mar 20, 2019 8:18 pm 
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
User avatar
Joined: Dec 8, 2003 6:53 pm
Posts: 37616
Location: Riding the Bailey ghost train
BTW, it's NOAA that's the weather experts, not NASA.

_________________
Image Socialism: trickle up poverty. Why are we running out of money for social security but not welfare?


Top
  Profile  
Reply with quote  
Offline 
 Post subject: Re: AMI Meters (Smart Meters) coming soon
Post Posted: Mar 25, 2019 10:56 pm 
Prolific Pinecam Poster
Prolific Pinecam Poster
User avatar
Joined: Apr 27, 2007 9:57 am
Posts: 925
Update: 4 of us attended the IREA board meeting and it was very informational.
We learned that they are considering considering an opt-out which is great to know that they are aware that this is something that is of interest to their customers.

For those who were curious, YES meters can be moved to another location that isn't directly on your house, but the customer is responsible for paying.

I will post the meeting minutes for that portion of the meeting when they are available.


Top
  Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:

Who is online

In total there are 97 users online :: 2 registered, 1 hidden and 94 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
Most users ever online was 2823 on Mar 26, 2012 7:26 pm

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot], mummydog and 94 guests





Powered by phpBB © 2000-2012 phpBB Group

This website copyright © 1994-2019 by
Pinecam.com is a member of the Platte Canyon Area Chamber of Commerce