It is currently Apr 6, 2020 11:53 am 

:attention:
Please read the forum introduction topic to learn what this forum is about,
what type of requests you can make, or how you can help.

Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Re: Welfare Check Support System for Pinecamers living alone
Post Posted: Dec 14, 2019 7:19 pm 
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
watermanofevergreen wrote:
Chinook wrote:
Confidentiality will be a concern.

Agreed

Plus one.
The idea has great merit.
How to find balance will be key.

Post Posted: Dec 14, 2019 7:34 pm 
Whoa momma! A top Pinecam poster!
JMiller wrote:
watermanofevergreen wrote:
Chinook wrote:
Confidentiality will be a concern.

Agreed

Plus one.
The idea has great merit.
How to find balance will be key.

Suggest participants only be accepted by their own request.

Post Posted: Dec 14, 2019 8:50 pm 
of course, Chinook. This is a voluntary thing.
Here are some thoughts:
If folks trust me, I can keep the information in a spreadsheet. This "database" would be managed by me and I would need a backup in case I get hit by a bus.
Once we get folks on the list, I could make a map that can be updated identifying folks by a number if that works as regards to keeping addresses and names confidential.
Once we have an idea of where the buddy participates live, we can ask for a proximity match based upon how close people live to one another. If person #2 has not checked in via designated method, I can issue a buddy alert to go by and check. If no answer, then they would involve sheriff for wellness check and report back. (kind of like the scanner team in a way)

This can be for injuries (help I've fallen and can't get up), situation with bad people doing bad things, as well as death. Any reason that would cause someone to not check in.

We could ask folks to pair up voluntarily so if someone does not check, the buddy has the address, email and phone to check in. If all is good, we issue an all clear.
Where would we do this? Create a sub forum just for this?

We need to figure out how often folks would check in. Daily? Weekly? and this could change based on changing health conditions.

If there is not enough trust to give this information to me, then suggestions on how to do this would be appreciated.

As far as pets go, names, medical issues, medications, location of medications, veterinarian, family member or friend that could take them. this should help facilitate writing of living wills that designate instructions for pets.

input needed as we discuss

If you have a pet you wish to add to the Rainbow Bridge Site, please either post in the Pet Forum Rainbow Bridge Page viewtopic.php?f=85&t=78851 or PM me with pet names you would like them added. If you have others already there, please give me their names so I can add your pet with them.

Post Posted: Dec 15, 2019 9:20 am 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
I have thought about this a lot. I live alone and if I died in my sleep it could be weeks before someone figures out that I am missing.

Oh but what a HUGE burden it would be for someone to take on that responsibility.

Who would be willing to drop everything and try to figure out what is happening if their buddy didn't check in. What if they just forgot to check-in and someone else is freaking out???? And geez nobody wants to show up at someones house to find a dead body.

I would not be willing to take on that responsibility for some one, so how could I ask some one to do that for me????

There is a system called Routinify that does this (and more). I'm not sure if they are up and running in our area yet, as I have not followed up with them (cuz their system costs more than I am willing to pay).

If you choose to move forward with this, then I recommend that you coordinate with Senior Alliance of Platte Canyon and other Senior Resource centers in the area.

Post Posted: Dec 15, 2019 9:24 am 
Routinify costs money. a lot of money and that is not what I am trying to do here. If there are folks that have the money to spend on smart watches and paying for a monitoring system, then please go do that.

However, I think most folks up here living alone do not have that kind of disposable income.

If you already have something in place with friends, family, neighbors, then GREAT. This is not for you, unless you want to help a neighbor and be their checkin buddy, which would be awesome. I fall into that category. I do not live alone, but would like to help neighbors develop a network to make sure something doesn't happen and no one knows about it.

I am not trying to complicate this.

oh....and I don't think anyone would be finding a dead body. That is what the sheriff and their wellness checks are for. The buddy would initiate the call to the sheriff if someone did not check in. and cooknthyme, I would make that call for you. you are a pinecam freind and neighbor and I am sure others would as well. ♥

If there is anyone out there that would like to do this, then send me a PM. I have heard from some already. I don't live alone. I am just trying to help out folks that don't have anyone up here.

If you have a pet you wish to add to the Rainbow Bridge Site, please either post in the Pet Forum Rainbow Bridge Page viewtopic.php?f=85&t=78851 or PM me with pet names you would like them added. If you have others already there, please give me their names so I can add your pet with them.

Post Posted: Dec 15, 2019 9:43 am 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
I understand your intention. It is honorable, gracious and kind.

What I am trying to say is that IMO it is a much bigger responsibility than I think you realize. However, perhaps some of you are willing to shoulder such a responsibility and are strong enough to deal with the repercussions of mistakes being made (as they will surely happen).

I deeply appreciate the offer Wily. I really do.
I have no family left and there was a time when I was searching for some one to provide that service.

However after thinking through all the different scenarios, I figured out that I am not strong enough to handle what a hassle someone might go through if I forgot to check in. And how many false alarm wellness checks is the Sheriff's office willing to do on someone?

Post Posted: Dec 15, 2019 10:39 am 
OK, so you can be a part for us to check on you, but you do not have to check on someone else. no one wants anyone to be uncomfortable.

Post Posted: Dec 15, 2019 10:49 am 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Thanks, but no thanks.

I'm worried about MY inability to check-in on a regular basis thus causing others the need to react to me being forgetful.

I'll refrain from further discussion on this thread. I don't want to rain on the parade.

Post Posted: Dec 15, 2019 11:19 am 
thank you

Post Posted: Dec 15, 2019 12:10 pm 
I just sent you a PM. The file name begins with my name RE Welfaare Check Support System (I also listed my pinecam name at the end of the letter). I include why I think this topic is important to pursue based upon a recent personal experience (ie I just got out of the hospital). I also included a extended list of information which may be important for the fur babies in our family.

Perhaps, as you suggested creating a separate group to discuss.

Thank you again for initiating this thread.

Post Posted: Dec 15, 2019 12:52 pm 
here is my email address for those interested in discussing further but not "in public" angela at sanderssound dot com (at = @ and dot = .)
Once we have come up with something, we can share it with the members through this thread.
It may take a bit of tweaking to get it working like it should. So those interested in working on a "prototype" with me, let's get talking.

Post Posted: Dec 15, 2019 3:06 pm 
Prolific Pinecam Poster
Prolific Pinecam Poster
I think it's a good idea. My issues would be:
Would this be a duplication of existing services through the Park County Sr. Coalition or the Evergreen Seniors' Resource Center?
How to vet the volunteer neighbors for the protection of the elderly and people with disabilities.
How to protect the volunteers from being taken advantage of by the participants.
I'll send you an email. Thanks for your efforts!

Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next