livestock for sale or wanted in the Barnyard Classified Ads subforum

Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject:
Post Posted: Jan 3, 2013 10:05 am 
Whoa momma! A top Pinecam poster!
Whoa momma! A top Pinecam poster!
LOL
Hey I was stretching my comfort zone thinking about upsizing to Shetlands!

It'll be a fun journey wherever it takes us.

Post subject:
Post Posted: Jan 9, 2013 11:27 am 
Infrequent Pinecam poster
Infrequent Pinecam poster
The Lakewood Riding Club is having a clinic at Jeffco Fairgrounds on Sunday, Jan. 27th if you want to stop by. It starts at 10 am and goes until early afternoon, usually until sometime between 2-4 pm depending on how late everyone wants to stay. We'll be in the indoor arena/Event Center (up by the rodeo arena). The clinic isn't specific to driving, but you could talk to various people about their own breed/type preferences.

Ask for me (Karla) or just introduce yourself to anyone you see and they'll be happy to bend your ear for a while. ;-)

Post subject: Re: HORSE TRAINER CORNER: Ask a local trainer....
Post Posted: Mar 3, 2013 2:43 pm 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
I was riding in our outdoor arena yesterday where there was about 6-8" of snow and I could not stop my horse from dropping to roll (with me on him!) Luckily I could easily hop off and stopped him before he rolled over the saddle but I could not seem to let him know that this was not a reasonable thing to do. The first time he surprised me (I have been leasing him since the fall), the second time I tried to cue him forward but too late, the third time I cued him harder but he was already on his knees...help! Do I just not ride him in the snow?

Post Posted: Mar 3, 2013 4:54 pm 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
Here's my advice if you would like it,
Maybe you've already done this,
Give him the opportunity to roll before you mount,
Then carry a suitable whip, or long split reins, and catch him very
quickly and agressively before he gets a chance to go down, follow
immediatly with desensitizing him to the whip so he's not afraid of it,
but repects it enought not to try again.....it may take a few times, it all
depends on how much the bad behaviour is engraved in his brain
As with any behaviour problems you use as little discipline as you can,
and as much as you have to
Be quick to respond, and patient waiting for their answer..
If the problem persists, hire a good trainer.
Good luck to you!

Post Posted: Mar 3, 2013 8:00 pm 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
Thank you so much for the advice, besthorseman. I will give your ideas a try - I will let you know how it goes!

Post Posted: Mar 4, 2013 3:12 am 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Here is a trick that works until you can stop him before it's too late. Tie a piece of baling twine from the bit (where the reins connect) to the saddle (if you ride English, go to the pommel ring and if western, tie to either the horn or to where yould attach a breast plate. Make the string only long enough to keep him from lowering his head, not too long, or too short. Rembember he needs his neck to balance himself. Basically, he should not be able to put his nose much lower than his chest, but the string should not tie his head back or down in any way. I usually have to readjust a couple of times before I find the magic spot.

This works because a horse puts his nose down before he rolls, and even if you don't catch him quickly enough, the string will never fail you. I have used this for training the human to watch for the cues the horse always gives, while stopping the behaviour consistently and humanely. It works for children with ponies that want to snatch grass on the trail, too! The horse will do what he is allowed to do and it is usually the rider not seeing the signals of what is coming that we need to address. Once done, the issue is resolved. All training must be simple, concise and fair, and this method does the trick about 99% of the time.

While you are riding with your string attached and at the proper length, watch what he does before he feels the pull on his bridle. First, he will look, tilt an ear, then lower his head, buckle his knees and drop. You must be able to stop him at the look, but since he is quick about it, you may not react until the knees are bent and he is lowering himself to the ground. The string will correct him before you do, but keep practicing until you can see, feel and react as fast as the string does. The string is temporary, use it only until you can foretell his intentions and stop his actions before they take place.

Let us know how it works, and if it doesn't, holler and I will offer other solutions that may work. A horse does what he is allowed to do, and teaching him his boundaries is what is really needed here in my opinion. If he is walking over you in other areas especially, work on teaching him what you want before he does what you don't want and you will not need to be severe with him. I do not believe a whip is ever the answer.

Good luck and. keep us updated, please.
Happy trails!
Tanya Buck

Post Posted: Mar 4, 2013 7:48 pm 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
Thank you Tanya - I like this idea. I know that I just wasn't catching his "sign" but was not really sure what I was looking for as he is SO FAST! He has never even tried this before so for some reason the snow was just too tempting for him, I guess. I will let you know this works.

Post Posted: Mar 4, 2013 8:27 pm 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Just give a shout if you find it's not going smoothly, I'm happy to help. He really is not being bad or misbehavng as much as doing what comes natural to a horse. This is more a chance for you to improve your "horse-reading" skills and enhance your training skills than anything, It will help with grass-grabbing on the trail, too. Watch out for rivers, streams and sand as well! :)

Post Posted: Mar 8, 2013 7:52 am 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
Hoping to get out this weekend between the snow storm and the Horse Expo! Thanks again for all of your kind help.

Post Posted: Jun 30, 2013 7:33 am 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
I am working with 2 skittish horses in pasture trying to halter them...there is no round pen so they just move away from me when the halter goes up. They are very friendly and I can get them to smell the halters. I have been trying treats but have not had success. Any ideas? I do not want to scare them or make them more head shy than they already are... Thanks!

Post Posted: Jun 30, 2013 8:41 am 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Hi, are they head shy or people-shy? Can you put your hand up while near them or do they move away? Are you trying to halter them from the front or the side; Where are you standing when you raise the halter? Are they afraid of you or just a rope? Or only a halter? Once they are caught, are they afraid or calm?

The answer to your question can be quite lengthy in each scenario which is why I am trying to get a picture of where you are in relation to them, how high you are lifting your hand, etc. If you raise your hand with or without a halter, that is pressure to a horse and it does tell them to move. What are you saying to them in your body language? Let me know and I'll get right back to you. Thanks.

Post Posted: Jun 30, 2013 5:31 pm 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
Thanks for replying...the horses are a bit people shy as they have not been handled a lot. I did get a halter on one of them today. I found that once I touched him under the chin, he would stand still. The 3 year old would let me put the halter on her nose but not up and over her ears. I know that she has had a halter on before (she was trailered to Evergreen when rescued). She will let me rub the front of her face and her cheeks; I can even rub up over her ears with my hand.

Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next