It is currently Jul 22, 2019 9:18 pm 

Please place your classified ad for livestock related services or supplies or
livestock for sale or wanted in the Barnyard Classified Ads subforum

Reply to topic  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Re: VET CORNER: Ask a local Veterinarian....
Post Posted: Dec 18, 2013 10:22 pm 
Infrequent Pinecam poster
Thanks wildGoose. I wondered about botflies too, but there doesn't seem to be a hole, and the tick had legs so I don't think it was a misidentified maggot. I have (unfortunately!) been looking at a lot of pictures of all kinds of critters, and from what I've seen, what I pulled off is pretty decisively a tick.

But, like I said, this is the first scab I've found a tick around, so I'm hoping it's just a rare coincidence.

Post Posted: Dec 19, 2013 10:53 am 
Whoa momma! A top Pinecam poster!
Sounds like rain rot/rain scald.
Even though associated with high humidity which we don't have, I know lots of horses
up here that have had it.

Post Posted: Dec 19, 2013 12:07 pm 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
Hi
My gelding has has this problem for the last 3 years. I got the usual responses from a several informed people (rain rot/allergy etc)
My farrier (Ingrid) has seen several cases and said it was from a small fly that burrows into the skin/coat for warmth at night this time of year.
I sprayed with the usual fly spray I normally use in the summer and that cleared up the problem almost immediately. (make sure to get the areas under the mane, belly, behind the front legs, anyplace that is exceptionally warm as well as the rest of the body) As for the crusty crystal scabs and sores left behind, I scrubbed them with a beta-dine solution and let them air dry. This year I sprayed early on and that kept the problem to a minimum.

Post Posted: Dec 19, 2013 10:00 pm 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
I had it on only one of my horses this year and his front end and legs where covered with only a few here and there around his rump. He is in the same field and fed exactly like the others with him and they didn't have a mark. Also one horse in a different field had some, but the other two did not. I did think it was an allergic reaction to those little flies since they are always around in October and burrow into the coat at night, but now I'm thinking it can be irritation from a weed I see around where horses have these bumps because they are often on the face, chest, neck and legs and generally less on the back and top of the rump. Who knows, it could be both the flies and the weed and just a general allergic reaction. I really don't think it's rain rot. It's always yellow scabs that dry up and go away with grooming. The maggot filled bumps are summer sores from stomach worm larvae hitching a ride on stable flies then getting into wounds and don't cover a horse like what is going on with the mostly little and sometimes big yellow scabs. I have also trimmed horses with ticks who haven't had one spot on them. I have not ever seen these bumps on clients horses out east in the Brighton area.

It would be great to get a definite answer on this one.

Post Posted: Dec 20, 2013 11:21 am 
Danceswithhorses, that theory fits my observations well, since the problem seems to be the worst in the thickest/warmest areas, especially under her mane. I sprayed both of them down with fly spray this morning - hopefully it helps! Thanks for sharing your experience.

Like Ingrid said, it's weird that it seems to be so inconsistent. Though I only have two horses on my property, one is riddled with these little scabs, and the other has almost none. The only pattern I can detect is the thickness of their coats, but I don't have a lot to go off of.

Post Posted: Dec 20, 2013 12:48 pm 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
This is a great question and in our veterinary practice we see horses with these scabs seasonally every fall. I wish that I did have a definitive answer, but unfortunately I have a lot of the same theories as what have been expressed here. In some cases I do think it is a form of focal localized rain scald/rain rot/dermatophilus infection, in other horses I think an insect or tick is responsible for biting the horse and leaving scabs behind (but never any trace of the offending insect! So this is merely theoretical). Butis is strange how one horse in a group can be heavily affected and others not at all.

The important take home message though is that this condition seems to be harmless to the horse, and is not itchy or irritating in the cases I have seen. Gently removing the scabs via finger nails, a curry comb, or in some cases a medicated bath to soften the scrubs (weather permitting) seems curative.

www.aspencreeklac.com

Post Posted: Dec 20, 2013 1:09 pm 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
I have a mule that is about 21 yrs old, we have noticed that he will stretch out to pee, turn around and stretch out again then the third time he will actually pee. He seems totally normal other than this and there are lots of pee spots in the corral so I know he is peeing but why does he do this ritual before he does pee? just checking to see if it's something I should be concerned about.
Thank You

Post Posted: Dec 20, 2013 1:11 pm 
Ashleigh Olds, DVM wrote:
This is a great question and in our veterinary practice we see horses with these scabs seasonally every fall. I wish that I did have a definitive answer, but unfortunately I have a lot of the same theories as what have been expressed here. In some cases I do think it is a form of focal localized rain scald/rain rot/dermatophilus infection, in other horses I think an insect or tick is responsible for biting the horse and leaving scabs behind (but never any trace of the offending insect! So this is merely theoretical). Butis is strange how one horse in a group can be heavily affected and others not at all.

The important take home message though is that this condition seems to be harmless to the horse, and is not itchy or irritating in the cases I have seen. Gently removing the scabs via finger nails, a curry comb, or in some cases a medicated bath to soften the scrubs (weather permitting) seems curative.
One of our minis (Luke) has several of these, and his coat is VERY thick. His dad, Legend, has none - and has a slightly less thick coat. Ingrid noted this last week. I've noticed some bumps on Luke behind his elbow that concern me. I will be doing some careful grooming this weekend. The fly spray seems like a good and harmless idea (except Luke would beg to differ... he hates the spray sound).

Post Posted: Dec 20, 2013 1:12 pm 
grtdnm wrote:
I have a mule that is about 21 yrs old, we have noticed that he will stretch out to pee, turn around and stretch out again then the third time he will actually pee. He seems totally normal other than this and there are lots of pee spots in the corral so I know he is peeing but why does he do this ritual before he does pee? just checking to see if it's something I should be concerned about.
Thank You

Checked for a bean?

Post Posted: Dec 20, 2013 1:20 pm 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
Red Chili's suggestion to have his sheath cleaned to check for beans is a good one. There is a small pocket around the tip of the urethra thst accumulates dirt, dust, skin cells, etc. and can form into a hard ball that causes discomfort and even in some cases partial obstruction. If you have had this done regularly (ie within the last 6 months) and you aren't seeing any blood in the urine or any signs of colic, I wouldn't be too concerned about the behavior. I think that sometimes the geldings don't like getting their legs splashed with urine when they urinate and he may be trying to find a soft spot where he will get splashed the least.....

www.aspencreeklac.com

Post Posted: Dec 20, 2013 2:21 pm 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
Thank you both for the answer, I will check him out!

Post Posted: Dec 20, 2013 5:26 pm 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
My gelding had a very large bean a couple years ago that Ingrid was kind enough to remove. (Buddy absolutely loves her and let her do it easily)
I noticed he peed a great deal more and with more ease after the bean removal. And he didn't stretch out as much. We checked for a bean since and his sheath is pretty clean.

Back to the crusty scabs....my mare didn't have them at all the first couple of years and had just 3-4 this winter.They cleared up with the fly spray. The gelding had a lot of them on his lower hind legs too. (he likes to stand in poo at night...another story)
She did have diarrhea consistently for several days and then soft poo with a little diarrhea. We used Sand Clear, (following directions) for a week but that didn't help with the diarrhea. (She was otherwise just fine) But another Vet suggested her hay and I changed to the hay from Enos (Westcliff Hay) and her diarrhea stopped immediately and her poo is normal.
Go figure.......the hay looked good too. You would never thought it would cause a problem.

Reply to topic  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next