It is currently Nov 18, 2019 8:22 pm 

Churches, post your events and activities in the Local Churches forum.
Local Businesses, post your events and activities in the Local Businesses and Services forum.

Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject:
Post Posted: Oct 2, 2006 10:46 am 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
You and I think alike sabel.

Skydance -- yes, we did increase security after 9/11. It is a controversial topic in the security field as to which measures are effective and which measures are "window dressing" intended to make people feel safer without actually improving the security equation -- some feel that certain of these measures are actually detrimental.

I do concur that measures like the Federal Air Marshals (FAMs) and the corresponding officer-in-schools programs can only be a good thing.

Post subject:
Post Posted: Oct 2, 2006 1:26 pm 
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
The school district should be involved in discussions regarding security changes at the schools. They will be shouldering the burden of the maintenance costs, personnel costs, etc. It is pointless to put systems in that we as a school district can't afford to continue.

Post subject:
Post Posted: Oct 2, 2006 1:36 pm 
removed double post.

Last edited by mylz2go on Oct 2, 2006 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
Post Posted: Oct 2, 2006 1:50 pm 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
I like the name of the Foundation because it has double meaning when used in the text "C to C" Ride.

After the events of today with another school shooting...this is just not about Columbine, Bailey or the one room school house in Penn.

This really is about Sea To Sea...Keeping Kids Safe!

Post subject:
Post Posted: Oct 2, 2006 1:58 pm 
However, if the foundation's purpose is to memorialize and support the Platte Canyon students the title should reflect that. That is not meant to trivialize any other tragic incident, just trying to acknowledge the focus of the foundation.

Post subject:
Post Posted: Oct 2, 2006 1:59 pm 
Prolific Pinecam Poster
Prolific Pinecam Poster
Slightly off topic, but I hope a practical suggestion. Since the school has phys ed classes, would it be appropriate for students to have an option for taking self-defense classes? I know this would be especially empowering to the girls and give them a greater sense of confidence about what they can do in difficult situations.

I realize a person with a gun is not (I hope not!) the typical situation to be confronted with. I would have been scared sick, and I'm an adult. But I would sure like to see our students given the best possible means to deal with these difficult situations.

Post subject:
Post Posted: Oct 2, 2006 11:03 pm 
It amazes me that Homeland Security paid for non-security items in Cities all over the USA, and I wonder how much money was spent! We spend billions for exploring space......we spend and spend and spend...yet why can't the government spend some of our tax dollars to secure our schools? Columbine, Platte Canyon, and now the little Amish school....it is not going to end! Our schools and kids need to be protected, yet not be a strain on already small budgets. I do think we need security guards at the entrance of our schools, at least some would be maniac might think twice! Hopefully a security guard would notice someone who did not belong. All adults should have to go through security to get into a school, at least that would help keep that sort of danger away. I know it's not an answer for all situations, but anything is a help. They should be paid by federal funds.........ok, raise my taxes for THAT, and I will gladly pay. I know of a school that pretty much mirrors the set up at Platte Canyon. A small middle school and high school, a few miles out of town on a two lane highway....you go through the front door, and no one sees you if it's during classes. You are supposed to check in at the office if you are a visitor....so to do that you walk up two flights of stairs where no one can even see you, then you walk down a long hallway until you get to the office. Bad, situation if you are some maniac off the street up to no good. This is the type of situation that needs to be changed. We live in a different world and we have to take action and change to protect ourselves and our kids. I live in a small town, and a few years ago I started locking my front door.

The President started the program "No child left behind"....well I think we need a program called "No child killed in school". I am sorry, but I am all consumed with what happened in Bailey. It was different when I was in school there, the world seemed safer. I was in the one long building where you could see from one end of the school to the other, and everyone came in one door and you could not get through the door without someone in the office seeing you! Things are different now, everywhere. I don't know any of you, I don't know anyone in Bailey now, but I love and cherish all of you in my heart and in my prayers, you are my home town. Thanks for letting me speak my peace :)

Post subject:
Post Posted: Oct 3, 2006 11:09 am 
My son is a driver for UPS. He commented to me that he has never been able to just walk in to any elementary school, but has to be buzzed in. He has to say who he is and what he's there for. But he's able to just walk in to the middle schools and high schools.

Post subject:
Post Posted: Oct 3, 2006 11:11 am 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
I'm waiting for someone to propose metal detectors and fingerprint scanners for Amish schoolhouses. ;)

Post subject:
Post Posted: Oct 3, 2006 11:26 am 
Stratospheric Poster!
Stratospheric Poster!
Good to see some humor, xenon! :)

Post subject:
Post Posted: Oct 3, 2006 11:35 am 
Stratospheric Poster!
Stratospheric Poster!
Next we will need them at the rec center, Safeway and Ace Hardware!

Post subject:
Post Posted: Oct 3, 2006 3:48 pm 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
xenon wrote:
I'm waiting for someone to propose metal detectors and fingerprint scanners for Amish schoolhouses. ;)

:whistle:
Well that Was what I would have suggested but...

J/J 8) Sorry about the other post Xenon, no hard feelings?

http://www.venganza.org/

We need more Pirates!! Join the cause, stop global warming!!

Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next