It is currently Nov 21, 2019 4:55 pm 

Churches, post your events and activities in the Local Churches forum.
Local Businesses, post your events and activities in the Local Businesses and Services forum.

Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Need your input now!
Post Posted: Oct 2, 2006 7:01 am 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
We are well on the way to getting this Motorcycle ride to be a success. The money generated from that go to the victims, for the victims, and they will disperse the money the way they wish. Not up to me at all.

What I want to discuss is the idea of making change. What can you suggest we do to better security that you would support at Platte Canyon not to mention all of our schools? I realize nothing is absolute fool proof but change has to clearly happen.

I want input so I can base an independent non profit Foundation to get this done. I am planning to call it the "Columbine to Canyon Foundation". What do you think? Give me your ideas. Your feelings on this. If you rather PM me I can keep them private. Thanks, Danny

Post subject: I agree
Post Posted: Oct 2, 2006 7:09 am 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
I agree and asked the same things days ago...what changes can we make for better security and safety of our school. I wanted to have some ideas in place prior to kids returning. Something the kids can rely on happening in the near future.

One thing I would like to mention is... I have a high school student and my house is one of the homes that has had tons of kids in it crying and coping over the last week. The one thing many have said so far is the name Columbine to Canyon.... that seems to bother them... Columbine was the name of the school but Canyon is not... It is Platte Canyon and they seem to want the same courtesy of having their school name correct.

Post subject:
Post Posted: Oct 2, 2006 7:15 am 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
I understand and apologize if that bothers them. I had to keep it to a simple slogan. Have them assured this is for them, and they are not slighted in the least. I am doing my best to make the effort to get them the help they need for now and for their future. One of the victims parents was very happy with the name and wanted to keep it that way. I understand we don't all agree on everything. Rest assured this is for them in the highest regards, Danny

Post subject:
Post Posted: Oct 2, 2006 7:21 am 
Infrequent Pinecam poster
I have to agree, I don't like the name. If you could add Platte, maybe then I could accept your name.

Post subject: pm
Post Posted: Oct 2, 2006 7:21 am 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
I sent you a pm Dan.

Post subject:
Post Posted: Oct 2, 2006 7:26 am 
Whoa momma! A top Pinecam poster!
As a student at CHS, secuity is always number 1 but it isn't like it is at airport. What makes CHS more secure is a full time cop, well part time acutally but he is here most of the time, every day. The was random and this guy could of easily came to CHS. Elk Creek, CHS, PCHS you can all see from 285. When i think of it, it's pretty scary. At a point he did drive by and see our schools. I once read a book where a 2 lions kept getting knocked down. Abandon from their group and chased by packs of other lions. One lion hid in fear and went far far away. But the other lion even though he got beat up and knocked down everyday he stood tall and continued on with life. All the other lions eventually gave up. My point is that we can't just go ahead and buy Metal Detectors etc, to beef up the security to our schools, to do that means we our afraid and shows that the guy won, but to stand tall through this shows that he lost. I hope your getting to where i'm getting, but i don't any other way to explain how i feel.

I think the foundation is great idea. Is the money going to charity, i'm a little bit confused?

Post subject:
Post Posted: Oct 2, 2006 7:34 am 
:whistle:

"If you are kind, people may accuse you of selfish, ulterior motives; Be kind anyway." -Mother Teresa Of Calcutta

http://www.pinecam.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=20745

Last edited by Natalie on Oct 2, 2006 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
Post Posted: Oct 2, 2006 7:41 am 
I'm all for as much security as possible. It as much for peace of mind as it is for the actual security it provides. Some ideas are to have the kids where ID badges or have a system that you have to pass your ID over to get through the entrance. This is what many businesses do that have to worry about security. Will it bog down the kids coming into school? Probably- but so what. I think metal detectors are still a good idea. I know that schools are very limited on budgets but I do think people in the community would donate funds to purchase what we need. As a parent of a PCHS student, I want to feel we have done everything we could to prevent something like this from happening again and to make the students feel secure at school so they can learn and enjoy the experience.

Holistic Success Coach
http://www.dreambelievercoaching.com/

"The Future Belongs To Those Who Believe In The Beauty Of Their Dreams." Eleanor Roosevelt

Post subject:
Post Posted: Oct 2, 2006 7:42 am 
All CHS students do have picture ID's. Aswell as middle school.

Post subject:
Post Posted: Oct 2, 2006 7:46 am 
There is over 1,000 students at CHS. Do you really expect each student to go through a Metal Detector, and a thing where you slide your I.D. through? I'll keep my opinion to myself, but do you think we are all over reacting.

Post subject:
Post Posted: Oct 2, 2006 7:47 am 
Stratospheric Poster!
Stratospheric Poster!
We should beef up our relationship with the students so they will feel comfortable relating immediately anything they have seen that is amiss. We could also provide student & staff official name tags with photos, so that non-tagged people could be spotted on sight. The process itself would discourage drop-ins.

Post subject:
Post Posted: Oct 2, 2006 7:57 am 
Name Tags? We already have Student ID's.

Here are the reasons a Meatal Detector won't work.

1. We have ipods which will set it off.
2. We have Binders which have metal.
3. Are backpacks have metal zippers.
4. Soda cans,
5. Headphones,
6. Cellphones

And Staff already have I'D's that they where.
And as a student, all these ideas sound a little far fetched.

CHS already has a On duty Jefferson County COP. We already lock most of the outside doors. I think CHS is overall very secure and we don't need Metal Detectors and such sort.

Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next