It is currently Dec 9, 2019 3:41 am 

Churches, post your events and activities in the Local Churches forum.
Local Businesses, post your events and activities in the Local Businesses and Services forum.

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: My Experience at Oct. 1 Healing
Post Posted: Oct 1, 2006 8:53 pm 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
I experienced an interesting situation tonight while I attended the Healing at Farmer's Union.

I overheard a photojournalist say that "he doesn't really want to be here". Well, because I am proud of our community and felt protective, I sauntered over and blatantly asked him why he doesn't want to be here.

Of course, I had already set in my mind that he would give me a lame excuse since I over heard him. Instead, he told me of other media folks making (donkeys) of themselves in the previous days and he felt bad because he wasn't like that. I went on to ask TWO of these guys many questions about different topics (felt like a reporter myself!) and neither one of them had any problems answering me. (That must be the difference; photojournalists compared to reporters, lol)

They both seemed very sincere and genuine with their answers and they were also 'available to me' during the rest of the night. One of them told me that he had been there for almost 3 hours and only took 10 photos. The other seemed like he started a little earlier, but didn't have much more photos saved on his camera. They weren't nosy, in my face or asked me names of people. I am happy to "report" that they seemed like us 'normal human beings'.

I know that there has been 'media overplay' because of the horrific situation from Wednesday. I am truly sorry for ANYONE who has had to be bothered with lame reporters, cameras in your faces and anything else on this matter that you have had to endure. BOTH these guys wanted and still want to portray the right facts, the pain & grief on our faces as well as our hearts and explain it to the rest of our nation as REAL. Their job is to tell a story through pictures and I know that it can be hard on them to see bad times, as well.

I have to give credit to Darin McGregor, Photojournalist from the Rocky Mountain News and Nick King, Photojournalist of the High Timber Times. These guys were great to speak with tonight and they BOTH said that they were amazed at our community's togetherness for Emily, as well as mentioning how lucky we all are to live in such a beautiful place. (For the record, they both live in Denver)

We are ALL truly lucky we have one another to lean on, not only in BAD times, but GREAT times, too! I am proud to be a Bailey resident and to share this time with everyone!! The Healing tonight was SOOOO uplifting for me that I am so glad I went!

God Bless You All..... :multi:

Post subject:
Post Posted: Oct 1, 2006 9:08 pm 
Stratospheric Poster!
Stratospheric Poster!
Great story

Post subject:
Post Posted: Oct 1, 2006 9:20 pm 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
well said baileyangel1

Post subject:
Post Posted: Oct 1, 2006 9:33 pm 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
Great story. I worked Columbine as a Red Cross volunteer and have vivid memories of the TV reporters doing live shots outside the elementary school the day of the shooting. They would tell their stories live and as soon as they were off the air they would break down in tears. It wasn't jus the women...it was the men as well. I was so grateful to see the human side of reporters. This story too allows me to look at them in a different light. Thansk for sharing.

Post subject:
Post Posted: Oct 2, 2006 9:22 am 
New Poster
Thank you BaileyAngel1 for taking the time to talk with and understand two of my fellow photojournalists.

I'm a photojournalist for a newspaper in the New Orleans area. I spent many hours in rescue shelters trying to tell the story of these victims. Before I took a single picture, I'd walk up to the person/family with out my camera and introduce myself. I'd strike up a conversation with them and become a friend so to say. Then, only if they were comfortable, I'd take their picture. Often times, I'd leave the shelter crying after hearing the stories they told. I started a photo project called "Faces of Katrina" in hopes of re-uniting displaced families.

I hope this doesn't sound like I'm trying to brag or anything. I was just thankful that a member of a community understands that photojournalists are human, and not just machines pointing cameras at people.

My heart went out to your community when I heard the news. And my thoughts are with you all.

Good luck, and if there is anything I can do from South Louisiana, please let me know.

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ]