It is currently Dec 14, 2019 10:38 pm 

Churches, post your events and activities in the Local Churches forum.
Local Businesses, post your events and activities in the Local Businesses and Services forum.

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Random acts of kindness
Post Posted: Oct 1, 2006 9:16 am 
Whoa momma! A top Pinecam poster!
I would like to share my believes on random acts of kindness.
At my house, the rules are.
1. be kind to yourself.
2. be kind to others.

I have taught my children to live by these two rules. For me living by these two rules of conduct is all encompassing. Asking am I being kind myself and others by taking this action, be it the food I am about to eat to how I am reacting to others.

I believe that we as a society are in need of changes and that prayer in schools being outlawed needs to be filled with something and that something is kindnesss. Teaching kindness will not offend anyone and help effect social change in a very positive way.

Yesterday at the memorial for Emily Keyes, Jay, the youth pastor at the Platte Canyon Community Church, said that purposely doing random acts of kindness often will lead to a habit of kindness as a way of life. This is the key to change. Random acts of kindness don't have to be "big" things. Little things can be "big" to another.

I would like to list a few random acts of kindness that my family as experienced recently.

A few months ago I was at the Loaf and Jug in line to pay for a tank of gas a man that we know was there and ahead of me and told the attendant that he wanted to pay for my gas. A very unexpected and appreciated act of kindness.

My son's jeep broke down and a friend came over and told him what to do and got him started before having to leave for work, my son worked all afternoon and thought he had it fixed and took it out for a test drive. He only got to the top of the road and it died. the neighbor who we hardly know pulled it into his garage and he and my son worked on it till 2:00 am teaching him while they fixed the jeep. This random act of kindness changed my son's outlook on car trouble and I will be forever grateful.

On Wednesday morning my blazer broke down as I was turning north on 285, a Man who was going the other way saw my 10 year old daughter and I getting out of the car ready to walk, she was wrapped in a blanket, her cheeks flushed with fever. The man turned around and offered us a ride. We accepted a ride to Mt Bailey Coffee shop where the owner gave my daughter a cup of hot chocolate and let sit while waiting for a ride the Doctor. Even little acts of kindness can be important to those in need.

At the memorial yesterday, Jo from Mt Bailey Coffee Shop asked me about my vehicle and as I was telling him what was wrong and how much the garage wanted to fix it and that I could not afford the repair. An ease dropper (and I say that kindly) offered to fix it for much less. This Random Act of Kindness is huge to me because I only have enough money for monthly bills and now I can at least pay half of my bills instead of having to choose to pay no bills or have my vehicle running again.

In conclusion, for those who don't know what to do in memory of Emily Keyes, you need not do something big for someone else. An act that may seem small to you will seem huge to someone else.

Do random acts of kindness often, it will then become habit and you will be a happier person for it. We can effect social change by acts of kindness knowing that most will "pay it forward"

Post subject:
Post Posted: Oct 1, 2006 9:22 am 
Very nice annsmeal. When we are open to kindness, it flows freely. Best of luck to you, and pay it forward.

Post subject: kindness
Post Posted: Oct 1, 2006 9:32 am 
Thanks Blue Spruce, I may not have money to pay it forward but there are many, many ways to pay it forward.

Post subject:
Post Posted: Oct 1, 2006 9:51 am 
Prolific Pinecam Poster
Prolific Pinecam Poster
annsmeal, what you have said is The Golden Rule...treat others as you want to be treated.

I couldn't agree with you more. Thanks for sharing those wonderful examples of RAK.

Have a wonderful day.

:bunny:

Post subject:
Post Posted: Oct 1, 2006 10:03 am 
annsmeal wrote "there are many, many ways to pay it forward"

You've got that right!

Post subject: Re: kindness
Post Posted: Oct 1, 2006 10:17 am 
Prolific Pinecam Poster
Prolific Pinecam Poster
[center]
annsmeal wrote:
Thanks Blue Spruce, I may not have money to pay it forward but there are many, many ways to pay it forward.

:exactly: :love: [/center]

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ]