It is currently Dec 12, 2018 7:32 am 

If you are looking for a new pet, click here for pets for needing adoption, rescue, or for sale.
Click here for lost/found pets and click here for pet related advertisements.

Image Rainbow Bridge page Image Add your fur baby here Image

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: If You Lose Your Cat...
Post Posted: Jul 25, 2008 5:10 am 
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
Here are some tips that have helped more then a few folks get kitty back home:

First make absolutely sure that the kitty isn't stuck somewhere in the house. Did they get closed into a closet or are just holed up under the bed or some other cozy little place? This has happened to me several times, particularly with an old or ailing cat and very young kittens, then they materialize all sleepy faced wondering what all the fuss is about.

Go out and look up in trees! Sometimes they get up there and just can't/don't come down and sometimes they don't call you until they hear your voice. Call their names, then stop and LISTEN!

Sometimes they get into neighbors' garages and sheds. Go knock on folks doors or leave notes on doors, describing the kitty. Increasing the awareness in your neighbor will help, folks won't dismiss a sighting as just another stray cat.

Put fliers up at intersections and mailboxes with a picture.

Call ALL vets in the area. Call IMHS, call animal control and all other shelters. Phone numbers for these are listed in the first announcement on the top of the page.

Put something outside on your porch every night with your scent on it. Something you wore that day so you odor is strong. Cats have an excellent sense of smell.

Don't give up hope. It took me over 2 weeks to find a lost cat once. Another poster got her kitty back after a year!

Spaying and neutering will all but eliminate any cats' desire to roam. So if you haven't already done this, do it as soon as possible and get they kitty a micro chip while you're at it. Accidents happen and this will help keep your found kitty out of an over crowded shelter and get her back home safe if she is found and turned in by someone.

Post subject:
Post Posted: Jul 25, 2008 8:58 am 
Whoa momma! A top Pinecam poster!
Whoa momma! A top Pinecam poster!
These are really good suggestions, JM! Personally, we've never lost a kitty outside but know several folks that have and it's quite a heartbreak! We have, however, "lost" one or two in the house in closets!

Post subject:
Post Posted: Jul 25, 2008 10:01 am 
excellent, Jo!

I am one of those that found our cat 30' up a tree after 3 days... 1/2 mile from home in the middle of the woods. Unless I was hiking up over that ridge, I would not have found him. He couldn't get down. We had to get an extension ladder.

and just last night, I thought one of our little ones got out. We have some smoking Italians that are going in and out a lot to smoke outside.... he was up in the attic in one of his new hiding spots...
We took a two pronged approach, one in and one out looking. Thank goodness it was a false alarm.

Post subject:
Post Posted: Jul 25, 2008 6:02 pm 
Thanks guys but can't take all the credit, this information s a compilation of all the experiences of fellow cammers that have lost and found and posted their experiences for the love of the kitties.

Post subject:
Post Posted: Aug 13, 2008 10:58 am 
b.u.j.p.

If you have a pet you wish to add to the Rainbow Bridge Site, please either post in the Pet Forum Rainbow Bridge Page viewtopic.php?f=85&t=78851 or PM me with pet names you would like them added. If you have others already there, please give me their names so I can add your pet with them.

Post subject:
Post Posted: Aug 14, 2008 8:37 pm 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
Thank you JMiller - one of my kids is missing, so in the morning I'll go looking at trees - I hadn't thought of that one!

Post subject:
Post Posted: Aug 15, 2008 7:15 am 
Your welcome, good luck finding your kitty. Keep the faith!

Post subject:
Post Posted: Sep 26, 2008 8:31 am 
bump

If you have a pet you wish to add to the Rainbow Bridge Site, please either post in the Pet Forum Rainbow Bridge Page viewtopic.php?f=85&t=78851 or PM me with pet names you would like them added. If you have others already there, please give me their names so I can add your pet with them.

Post subject:
Post Posted: Jun 30, 2009 8:35 am 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
Excellent ideas - I'm heading out the door!
Thank you!

Post subject:
Post Posted: Jul 1, 2009 12:53 pm 
Prolific Pinecam Poster
Prolific Pinecam Poster
Jo-this post should be printed and handed out at IMHS with all new adoptions, and here as a reference tool. Excellent advice!! AS ALWAYS!!! :thumper: :thumper:

Post subject:
Post Posted: Jul 1, 2009 4:40 pm 
Thanks everyone, this compilation has been floating around for about a year now. I link it to every lost cat post I see, please, feel free to do so yourselves if you see a lost cat post before I do. I try to pop in at least once a day, but summer is busy around here.

Post subject:
Post Posted: Jul 1, 2009 5:08 pm 
Prolific Pinecam Poster
Prolific Pinecam Poster
Spaying and neutering really does help - my male cat is a 'door-darter' and has gotten out overnight twice but luckily each time we've found him simply sitting in the backyard in the morning, enjoying the views (aka chasing birds)...

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next