Post subject: Re: Weston Pass Fire
Post Posted: Jul 10, 2018 11:09 am 
Scanner Monitor
Scanner Monitor
July 10, 2018 AM Update

Current acreage is 13,023
Containment on the fire is 63%.

Weather
Today will be mostly sunny in the morning with temperatures in the high 70°s, minimum humidity 22-26% and 5-10 mph winds from the ENE gusting to 20 mph. Clouds will form in the afternoon with isolated showers and thunderstorms in the midafternoon. Winds near thunderstorms will be gusty and erratic, with gust up to 30 mph.

Current Situation
Rain on Sunday, higher humidity during the evenings and use of the gel enhanced water drops have given us advantageous conditions to fight fire. As a result, firefighters will be able to safely access the spotty fire in the Buffalo Peaks Wilderness (BPW) area.

Firefighters on the north side continue to patrol and secure line. Park County will continue to work on CR 22. On the east side, crews continue to secure and hold the perimeter. Rehab (returning the land to a more natural state) is continuing along the dozer lines. Division P will continue to secure the fireline to the BPW with the goal of increasing containment. Helicopters will be available for bucket drops to assist firefighters on the ground. Chipping operations will be completed along contingency lines on the south side of the fire. Yesterday, helicopters bucket-dropped 17,010 gallons of gel-enhanced water on the hotspots in and near the BPW. Hotshot crews on the ground used Infra-Red (IR) maps to help locate hotspots on the west side of the fire and guide bucket drops to specific locations. Crews will construct contingency line from DP 55 west to the Lynch Creek Trailhead. Hotshot crews will improve and secure the fire line from the BPW boundary to the north. Some resources will be available for initial attack in case of new fires in the area. Engines will patrol tonight to assure the fire stays within the containment line. Today, there will be a medical emergency simulation exercise for training air, medical and communication resources.

Fire Statistics:
Size: 13,023 acres
Percent Contained: 63%
Total Personnel: Approximately 572
Resources Include: Three Type 1 hand crews, 10 Type 2 hand crews, 22 engines, one masticator, 2 dozers
Helicopters: Four Type 1, two Type 3 and two fixed wing aircraft

The speed limit on Highway 285 is posted at 50 mph and there is no stopping in the fire area.

https://www.facebook.com/westonpassfire ... 3974536447

It's kind of fun to do the impossible.

Dum spiro spero - While I breathe, I hope.
Where there is life, there is hope.

Post Posted: Jul 10, 2018 11:13 am 
Scanner Monitor
Scanner Monitor

Post Posted: Jul 10, 2018 1:29 pm 
Scanner Monitor
Scanner Monitor
Hotspots throw up smoke during the sunny, warmer weather on Monday afternoon. Smokes from hotspots near Buffalo Creek were worked yesterday by shot crews, including the Craig Hotshots. They got support from Air Ops, which made water drops from a Sikorsky Sky Crane and gel drops from three K-Max heavy helicopters.

More about the Craig Hotshots and individuals who are working the fire can be found at https://www.facebook.com/westonpassfire/ .

Post Posted: Jul 10, 2018 6:02 pm 
Scanner Monitor
Scanner Monitor
Video of the 6:00 pm community meeting can be viewed at https://www.facebook.com/westonpassfire ... 421174469/

Post Posted: Jul 10, 2018 6:57 pm 
Scanner Monitor
Scanner Monitor
All evacuations have been lifted.

Post Posted: Jul 10, 2018 9:27 pm 
Scanner Monitor
Scanner Monitor
"Public Information Officers with the Rocky Mountain Incident Mangement Team.

As the fire begins to wind down, we want to express our thanks to the residents of the area who have been so supportive of our efforts. We have loved the time we spent getting to know all of you....Fairplay and Park County will always have a place in our hearts."

https://www.facebook.com/westonpassfire ... =3&theater

Management of the fire is being returned to local resources.

It remains at 13,023 acres, and is now 64% contained.

Post Posted: Jul 11, 2018 9:27 am 
Scanner Monitor
Scanner Monitor
With fire activity diminishing, management of it will be transitioning to a smaller organization and local resources over the next few days.

All evacuation orders have been lifted, though residents are reminded that they may have to leave, again, should conditions change.

The goal now is not 100% containment as about 10% of the fire line lies in the Buffalo Peaks Wilderness Area. Because of the terrain and lack of accessibility, it can not be effectively fought given the cost of resources and risk to personnel. The goal is, therefore, 90% or more containment.

The numbers have not been updated, yet, this morning. They are still listed as 13,023 acres and 64% contained.

Post Posted: Jul 11, 2018 11:41 am 
Scanner Monitor
Scanner Monitor
July 11, 2018 AM Update

Weston Pass Updates will now be published once a day. Facebook and Inciweb will be updated during the day as needed.

Weather
Humidity recovery only reached the mid 40s last night. Sunny skies in the morning will bring temperatures to the mid 70s with some clouds moving in late morning. Low humidity will be in the mid 20s with winds out of the east 8-13 mph. Isolated showers and thunderstorm activity will begin around 11:00 AM. Winds near thunderstorms will be gusty and erratic, with gusts up to 35 mph.

Current Situation
Conditions continue to allow firefighters to safely access the fire in the Buffalo Peaks Wilderness (BPW) area; warming drying trends will allow more fuel to burn, especially in the afternoon. Containment lines and aerial bucket drops will limit fire spread. This fuel condition will provide the possibility of visible smokes from within the interior of the fire. Fire personnel will be monitoring fire behavior with lookouts and aircraft. Almost half of the fire personnel will be working on the west side of the fire in and around the BPW area.

On the north side firefighters continue to patrol fireline and protected structures. Crews will secure and hold the perimeter on the east side along HWY 285. Rehab continues along the dozer lines. Division P will hold and improve firelines from FS 433 to BPW boundary and secure fire perimeter west to the BPW boundary. Along contingency lines to the south crews will be rehabbing along FS 435 to reduce chipper debris. Crews are improving contingency line from DP 55 west to the Lynch Creek Trailhead utilizing Trail 618 and the road system. Hotshot crews will improve and secure fireline from the BPW boundary to the north. The dozer line between Division A and Z will be patrolled to determine containment.

Closures and Public Safety
Closures remain in effect in the Pike National Forest including the lands south of CR22, north of Trout Creek Pass, the entire BPW, and west of HWY 285. Please visit https://www.fs.usda.gov/psicc for more information. CR 22 is open to the public. All mandatory evacuations are lifted. CR22 [Black Mountain area] and CORA are on pre-evacuation status. Visit http://www.parkco.us for up to date information. The speed limit on Highway 285 is posted at 50 mph; there is no stopping in the fire area.

Fire Statistics:
Size: 13,023 acres
Percent Contained: 64%
Total Personnel: Approximately 525
Cause: Lightning
Resources Include: Three Type 1 hand crews, 7 Type 2 hand crews, 23 engines, one masticator, 2 dozers
Helicopters: Four Type 1, two Type 3 and two fixed wing aircraft

Post Posted: Jul 11, 2018 11:52 am 
Scanner Monitor
Scanner Monitor
Buffalo Peaks Wilderness Area remains to be the most problematic area of the active #westonpassfire. Type 1 Hot Shot crews have been working in this difficult terrain for several days.

Winema Hot Shots are based out of Klamath Falls, Oregon.

Geronimo Hot Shots are a 20 person crew from southeastern Arizona.

Geronimo creating fire lines in the steep, slopes of Division Z in the Buffalo Peaks Wilderness Area.

Winema working hard to contain the fire in the Wilderness area.

Post Posted: Jul 11, 2018 9:39 pm 
Scanner Monitor
Scanner Monitor
Wednesday evening update

Acres: 13,023
Contained: 74%
Personnel: 497
Estimated containment date: July 29,2018

Planned Actions
Secure established lines.. continue constructing direct fire line where possible and indirect line with support from aircraft.. patrol and mop up.. suppression repair where appropriate.

Projected Incident Activity
*12 Hours: Hot, dry weather is continuing to dry fuels, with additional spotfires adjacent to the fireline showing up.
*24 Hours: Possible chance of rain with higher humidity and lower temperature will moderate potential fire behavior.
*48 Hours: Continued mild conditions will moderate potential fire behavior.
*72 Hours: Fuel moisture will drop, increasing potential spread rates and flame length.

All mandatory evacuations have been lifted. CR 22, the Weston Pass Road, is open to the public. Buffalo Peaks Wilderness Area remains closed.

Post Posted: Jul 12, 2018 8:53 am 
Scanner Monitor
Scanner Monitor
Google Earth flyover of the #WestonPassFire. There is no audio with this video. The flyover starts on the west side of the fire and moves north to County Road 22 and then east towards Highway 285. It then continues south along Highway 285 to CORA and then back to the west ending at Buffalo Peaks Wilderness.

https://www.facebook.com/westonpassfire ... 537686124/

Post Posted: Jul 12, 2018 9:09 am 
Scanner Monitor
Scanner Monitor
K-Max Helicopter

Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next