Page 1 of 1

Author:  mummydog [ Jun 5, 2019 6:48 am ]
Post subject:  mushrooms?

Hello fellow dog parents,

I am wondering, since it has been so wet this spring, whether any of you have heard anecdotal reports of mushrooms proliferating more so than usual. My grass is so tall they’d be impossible to see, getting cut later this week. My old dog collapsed and died so suddenly that I’m wondering if he got into something. Need to look out for my remaining healthy girls. TIA!

Author:  aspenleaf [ Jun 5, 2019 7:16 am ]
Post subject:  Re: mushrooms?

I have found only one so far. I can never keep straight which are poisonous.

Author:  BeerGodROX [ Jun 5, 2019 7:45 am ]
Post subject:  Re: mushrooms?

We recommend keeping ALL mushrooms out of the animal enclosures and watch for them on the trail. Like you said AL,
it's hard to keep track of which are deadly. None are good for your dogs so hold your pets away from them on the trail and bag all that come up in the enclosures. Don't just throw them over the fence as they will go ahead and release spores that will find their way back into your area.

The wet season may bring more and earlier mushrooms. Guess we'll see. For us mushroom foragers that is a sweet thought. For pet owners it can be a nightmare.

Author:  TillerBee [ Jun 5, 2019 7:46 am ]
Post subject:  Re: mushrooms?

I am so sorry to hear about your dog collapsing. What a terrible year you are having. I have not seen a single mushroom this year, it's been too cold I think.

Author:  BeerGodROX [ Jun 5, 2019 7:52 am ]
Post subject:  Re: mushrooms?

It is early for the main mushroom bloom. It comes with the monsoon in July, August, early Sept. There are a few species that bloom earlier, but not many.

Author:  mummydog [ Jun 5, 2019 9:00 am ]
Post subject:  Re: mushrooms?

Thanks. I too thought it has not been warm enough. He had a heart issue so I think it was simply cardiac arrest.

Author:  aspenleaf [ Jun 5, 2019 8:03 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: mushrooms?

That's terrible. I am so sorry, mummydog. :(

Author:  Randy [ Jun 5, 2019 9:45 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: mushrooms?

I am so sorry to hear about your dog. Praying that your heart heals and that your other dogs stay safe.

I have only seen small one so far. We have, in the past, had Death Caps in our yard. They are pretty easy to identify, and you can also do a simple black paper test. Here are a couple quick links:

Author:  BeerGodROX [ Jun 6, 2019 7:39 am ]
Post subject:  Re: mushrooms?

Those are good links, Randy.
We are more likely to have Amanita pantherina in this area. Same family and can be as deadly if too much is ingested without quick medical help. There are several others that are so indigestible to dogs, they can be deadly without a stomach pumping. It has to do with the complexity of the cellulose in the structure.

I will give the good people of Pinecam credit for not eating wild mushrooms if they don't know what they are doing, but the pets aren't so smart. Keep them away from wild mushrooms.
Mrs. BGR

Author:  BeerGodROX [ Jul 17, 2019 1:08 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: mushrooms?

OK - they are here. We found two Amanita pantherina caps on the hill north of our house this week. 9.000 feet here and not really a lot of rain in the past week. The caps are 2 - 5 inches, light tan to rich brown. They have soft white warts (dots, spots) all over the cap, but the spots can wash off in a heavy rain. Gills are white and crowded, the stalk is white and maybe up to five inches or so tall. There is usually more than one.

This is the most common poisonous Amanita in the Rocky Mountain region and I expect to see many of them this year. Keep them out of your dog runs and away from your pets. DON'T stomp them or throw them over the fence. They will go ahead and go to spore (seed), and you will just end up with more next time around.

The Panther cap (A. pantherina) has an an ally which has a bright red cap and is otherwise very similar. They are commonly portrayed in childrens' books. The red Amanitas (Amanita muscaria) should also be kept away from pets.

The Amanita mushrooms of Colorado are poisonous. Period. (You may know some kid who ate them in college to get high.) The toxins in these mushrooms can easily kill a pet and have been known to kill humans. They are beautiful and perform a useful purpose in nature but if you find them in your pet enclosure or where your pets or children play pull them up, close them in a plastic bag and throw them in the trash. Then wash your hands.

This is the best advice we will ever share.

Author:  dixiedoll [ Jul 17, 2019 5:47 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: mushrooms?

I agree with your advice. Years ago we had a male Great Bane become ill in the night. The next day we found amanita mushrooms in our years. We lost our big boy. By the time he exhibited any symptoms, it was already too late to save him. We still had a female and a litter of puppies. We cleaned every mushroom we saw out of our yard. We had not even seen them come up before the male got sick. It had been rainy and humid. It was a hard lesson to learn.

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group