It is currently Sep 19, 2019 2:55 am 

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Just moved to Bailey!
Post Posted: Jun 4, 2018 8:30 am 
New Poster
Hello, we are Steve and Mary Anne and we just moved to Bailey- KZ ranch area. Steve came out a bit ago and I just arrived June 1 after retiring from my job. We are admitted flatlanders by way of Chicago, Minneapolis, back to Chicago, and now here. 3 of our 4 children have lived in Colorado off and on for the past 14 years and now it is our turn! We are so excited to be here as we have talked of living in the Rockies for years! We have a lot to learn and are grateful for Pinecam. We were active in our previous communities and look forward to the same here. Hope to meet our neighbors soon!
-MA

Post subject: Re: Just moved to Bailey!
Post Posted: Jun 4, 2018 8:41 am 
Scanner Monitor
Scanner Monitor
Welcome to Bailifer (that's what we sometimes call Bailey and Conifer combined :lol: ).

You are going to love it here! It's a small town with a close community, but with the conveniences of a big city nearby. There are things that are different about living here (like having wildlife strolling through your yard, having a well for water and a septic system), but they're easy to catch onto and you can ask absolutely any questions here and people will be happy to help.

Congratulations on making such a smart decision, and welcome! :D :pinetree:

I may not have gone where I intended to go
but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Post Posted: Jun 4, 2018 8:46 am 
New Poster
Thank you for your warm welcome!

Post Posted: Jun 4, 2018 8:48 am 
Stratospheric Poster!
Stratospheric Poster!
aspenleaf wrote:
Welcome to Bailifer (that what we call Bailey and Conifer combined :lol: ).

Only the folks in Conifer do that. Those of us in Bailey would rather not be associated with Conifer. ;)

Otherwise, welcome to the neighborhood.

Mountain folk see the mountains when they drive.
City folk who live in the mountains only see the bumper of the car in front of them.

Post Posted: Jun 4, 2018 8:51 am 
Whoa momma! A top Pinecam poster!
Whoa momma! A top Pinecam poster!
Welcome. You will love it here and glad you found pine cam.

Post Posted: Jun 4, 2018 8:58 am 
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
Welcome to Pinecam! I'm a "former" resident of Pine - moved to Pueblo a year ago and LOVE it here but still have ties to Pine and Bailey with friends.

Post Posted: Jun 4, 2018 9:41 am 
Stratospheric Poster!
Stratospheric Poster!
Welcome! We also live in the upper Deer Creek Valley. Love every minute!
You will find answers to many (most) questions here on Pinecam. Enjoy your summer.
Mrs. BGR

Post Posted: Jun 4, 2018 9:51 am 
Prolific Pinecam Poster
Prolific Pinecam Poster
Welcome!

Post Posted: Jun 4, 2018 11:37 am 
Welcome to the 'hood!

You have moved here at the time of year that most of us live here for. The summers are glorious! Here are some things to keep in mind if you are unfamiliar with living up here:

We are entering the season of

1) Pine Pollen season has begun (in Conifer at 8,500' it stared on June 2) and will last for 2 1/2 - 3 weeks. It will cover everything, but know it will be over soon. You can actually see the trees "spit" big blobs of it.

2) Carpenter ants mating season - those enormous black ants, some with wings, some not, will be "busy' for about 2 weeks. Don't call Orkin, there is plenty of rotten wood in the forests for them. That is why they are here, to help decompose that stuff. As soon as the party is over, they will "disappear" back to the forest again.

3)baby wildlife being born. fawns are parked by mom for the day while they go out eating. They are OK, please leave them alone.

3a) Keep your dogs confined (you should be doing that anyway), but they will kill a fawn and it is tragic.

3b) Keep your cats inside! The loss of songbirds is devastating each year. And besides, your cats will live much longer if kept indoors, aways from predators.

4) Please leave big tree cutting jobs until the fall or at least mid summer, so that you are not cutting down a bird or squirrel nest. Besides, we have our own yard crews up here!

5) BEARS - they are looking for easy marks and the best way we can keep them alive is to not attract them to our homes:
- keep your trash (food trash) in your garage. Use a bear proof can. We have tried all kinds but this one has lasted for years without any issues. Our cans are outside and the bears may come by and will simply knock it over to let it open, but it doesn't, so they leave. Bears need to eat A LOT of calories per day, so they don't waste any time and will quickly move on. We got our can at Aspen Park Ace. They ordered it and had it shipped to store and we picked it up saving the $200 shipping costs if you order one online.

Now, you can sit back and enjoy them without being "at war" with them

6) PREDATORS - bears, mountain lions mostly. Keep your pets inside and if you have dogs, keep them confined and don't let them "stay in the yard" if you are not home. Mountain lions will easily jump a fence and hop back over with your hundred pound dog.

Otherwise, get ready for the best summer of your life.
While they are cooking down the hill, we are chill up here.

If you have a pet you wish to add to the Rainbow Bridge Site, please either post in the Pet Forum Rainbow Bridge Page viewtopic.php?f=85&t=78851 or PM me with pet names you would like them added. If you have others already there, please give me their names so I can add your pet with them.

Post Posted: Jun 4, 2018 2:24 pm 
Scanner Monitor
Scanner Monitor
Sometimes foxes make housecalls to bird feeders and water dishes.

and so do bears!

I keep bear spray by each glass door and bring in my bird feeders at night to deter them. If they get used to being near humans, it could put their lives at risk. "A fed bear is a dead bear".

It is so cool to see them, though!

I may not have gone where I intended to go
but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Post Posted: Jun 4, 2018 3:15 pm 
good call, AL. I forgot about bringing in the feeders at night. We put up an electric fence around our "yard" and no longer have deer or bear coming in so I forgot!
I have an air horn that works great. Better than dragging out the shotgun to scare off the bears. not shooting AT them, just making a LOUD NOISE.

If you have a pet you wish to add to the Rainbow Bridge Site, please either post in the Pet Forum Rainbow Bridge Page viewtopic.php?f=85&t=78851 or PM me with pet names you would like them added. If you have others already there, please give me their names so I can add your pet with them.

Post Posted: Jun 4, 2018 4:09 pm 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
aspenleaf wrote:
Welcome to Bailifer (that's what we sometimes call Bailey and Conifer combined :lol: ).

No we don't. Conifer is Conifer, and Bailey it that little town about 15 miles down 285, past Pine Junction. :)

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next