It is currently Sep 15, 2019 1:02 pm 

Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Re: New to Conifer and Colorado and thrilled to be here
Post Posted: Oct 6, 2014 5:52 pm 
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
here is how we decided between plow or snowblower

plow - you have to install it every time you need it and you will need POWER to push a big snow. if you have room to keep pushing snow that may not melt, then maybe a plow is a good choice

snowblower - you need a fairly smooth surface if you want to get down low (that is why I recommend paving the drive if you can afford it). it sends the snow off and outta there so no build up of berms and such

OR you just hire someone the first winter and see how it goes

If you have a pet you wish to add to the Rainbow Bridge Site, please either post in the Pet Forum Rainbow Bridge Page viewtopic.php?f=85&t=78851 or PM me with pet names you would like them added. If you have others already there, please give me their names so I can add your pet with them.

Post Posted: Oct 6, 2014 6:39 pm 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
Jeremy -

First...welcome! I have lived up here for 11 years and just love it. A few tips for the winter: dress in layers to keep warm - especially since you are not used to the cold! Stock your house with a few things in case your power goes out during a snowstorm: extra food and water, candles, meds, etc. Introduce yourself to your neighbors. Sometimes people up here like to keep to themselves, but in time of need, they are usually very generous! Keep emergency stuff in your car: blanket, boots, flashlight, charged phone, extra food etc. just in case you are caught in a snow storm. We can have snow here starting NOW and going all the way into May. If it DOES snow, pop onto Pinecam (and have your wife do the same) to get driving conditions both going down the hill and coming up the hill (on 285). Conditions can be very, very different from downtown Denver versus the Foothills. It can be totally dry in Denver and snowing like crazy up here. When in doubt...stay HOME if possible!

Lastly, if you have not hiked in the new Staunton State Park (off Shaffer's Crossing), you should try it - it is just lovely and about a 10 minute drive from Richmond Hill.

This is a wonderful and welcoming community and I am sure you will love it!
Deb

Post Posted: Oct 6, 2014 7:08 pm 
New Poster
I moved to Conifer (Kings Valley) about 5 years ago from Des Moines, IA - Then moved to Cincinnati, OH 2 years ago for a promotion. Don't get me wrong I loved it there and I have enjoyed myself in Cincy, but I am ready and I am moving back to Conifer this November. I am really looking forward to getting back up in the Mountains and really LIVING again! It is beautiful, rugged, it really makes me feel alive when I am there. I knew I would be back - I kept my home in the mountains when I moved and will be back in it next summer. Thank you to my tenant for taking great care of it for me. Welcome to you and can't wait to get back there myself!

Post Posted: Oct 6, 2014 7:39 pm 
Infrequent Pinecam poster
dmiser1 wrote:
I moved to Conifer (Kings Valley) about 5 years ago from Des Moines, IA - Then moved to Cincinnati, OH 2 years ago for a promotion. Don't get me wrong I loved it there and I have enjoyed myself in Cincy, but I am ready and I am moving back to Conifer this November. I am really looking forward to getting back up in the Mountains and really LIVING again! It is beautiful, rugged, it really makes me feel alive when I am there. I knew I would be back - I kept my home in the mountains when I moved and will be back in it next summer. Thank you to my tenant for taking great care of it for me. Welcome to you and can't wait to get back there myself!

Glad you love Conifer. On our way to Colorado we spent the night in a couple's home in St. Louis. They also used to live in Conifer but took a job promotion that required they move to St. Louis. When we left their house they told us to never leave Conifer for a promotion. They want to come back, too. It's good to hear that so many people love it here.

Jeremy

Post Posted: Oct 6, 2014 7:40 pm 
otmf2 wrote:
Jeremy -

First...welcome! I have lived up here for 11 years and just love it. A few tips for the winter: dress in layers to keep warm - especially since you are not used to the cold! Stock your house with a few things in case your power goes out during a snowstorm: extra food and water, candles, meds, etc. Introduce yourself to your neighbors. Sometimes people up here like to keep to themselves, but in time of need, they are usually very generous! Keep emergency stuff in your car: blanket, boots, flashlight, charged phone, extra food etc. just in case you are caught in a snow storm. We can have snow here starting NOW and going all the way into May. If it DOES snow, pop onto Pinecam (and have your wife do the same) to get driving conditions both going down the hill and coming up the hill (on 285). Conditions can be very, very different from downtown Denver versus the Foothills. It can be totally dry in Denver and snowing like crazy up here. When in doubt...stay HOME if possible!

Lastly, if you have not hiked in the new Staunton State Park (off Shaffer's Crossing), you should try it - it is just lovely and about a 10 minute drive from Richmond Hill.

This is a wonderful and welcoming community and I am sure you will love it!
Deb

Thanks for the tips. I'll be in Staunton soon :)

Jeremy

Post Posted: Oct 6, 2014 8:48 pm 
Prolific Pinecam Poster
Prolific Pinecam Poster
jeremyallen wrote:
Lil' Kenosha Cat Ranch wrote:
aspenleaf wrote:
Several of my neighbors and I had Allstate home owners' insurance, but we were dropped because they now consider our subdivision to be a high fire risk zone (Hilldale Pines, a couple miles east of Meyer Ranch Park).

I worked with a great broker, Jennifer at Creekside Insurance who set me up with Travelers' and saved me $400 a year to boot!

303-838-8338

I second Jennifer @ Creekside Insurance, great service, great rates!!!
As far as tires go, they are your best friend up here in the winter, I run Arctic Claws with studs, better safe than sorry, Blizzaks are also good too. Have fun!

I called Jennifer. She is fantastic, really helping me out with my quotes. I, too, now highly recommend her!

Lil', at what point in the season do you install your Claws? Will they be okay for commutes down the hill and back several times a week? How do they handle dry pavement between snows?

JA, I have 2 set of wheels with snow and summer tires and usually switch them out around the first measureable snow forecast, its nice to be able just to do it at home. On average I switch back Mid May, but have seen snow way past then.

And on another note, I use an ATV with a plow, its fun, and works great. Also, its a machine that can be used around for work or play, and take you to some breath taking places, lots of great 4 wheelin trails close by.

Thanks

Post Posted: Oct 6, 2014 9:30 pm 
Prolific Pinecam Poster
Prolific Pinecam Poster
+1 on the ATV with a plow. They are great to drag logs and clean up slash in the summer and push snow in the winter. My husband is out plowing with the ATV at the slightest accumulation because it's so much fun to drive. :)

Having a winter driving kit in the car is great advise as well. I have cat littler and a shovel in case I get stuck...along with extra food and warm clothes. Oh, and hiking boots...because I am often in my high heel shoes driving to Denver for work in the winter...and those wouldn't be great to be out in the snow in if I were to get stuck.

Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3