It is currently Jul 6, 2020 10:29 am 

Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: New to Conifer and Colorado and thrilled to be here
Post Posted: Oct 5, 2014 10:23 pm 
Infrequent Pinecam poster
Hello all. My wife and I just moved to the area from Tampa, Florida. Her job gave us a great opportunity to move here, so we took it. She will be commuting to downtown Denver 3 days a week.

We have a contract on a house on Richmond Hill Road in Conifer. We should close on the house at the end of October and move in during the first or second week of November. Until then we are in a hotel in Denver.

We are very excited about being here and starting a new chapter of our lives in Conifer. We have been driving all over Bailey, Pine, Conifer and Evergreen to get acquainted with the roads. We have done some hiking in Pine and Evergreen. This place so beautiful.

We have been pouring over the pinecam forums to get mentally prepared for our first Colorado winter. We are already so grateful for the valuable information all of you share.

1. My immediate concern is to schedule home/water/well/radon inspections. If you have any favorite providers, please pass my way. The seller is having the septic cleaned and inspected.

2. I already have insurance quotes from All State and from the Morrison Insurance Agency who got a quote for Safeco. All State is about a grand cheaper because they prorate the replacement cost of my roof over the years, so that after 25 years the will only pay half the replacement cost. Safeco will pay the full replacement cost no matter how old, so their insurance costs more. I have read many of your comments about both companies canceling your insurance policies. The house I am buying is rated class 5 because it is relatively close to the fire station so I don't anticipate any company canceling my insurance due to fire hazard. But I could be completely wrong, so tell me if I am. If you have a favorite insurance provider, please pass my way.

3. My next concern is to get snow tires on my wife's Subaru Impreza as soon as possible. I may do it this week. Many of you have said October to May is a good time range to have these tires on. I plan to go to Aspen Park Tire & Auto for this. Please let me know if I should go somewhere else. I am trying to decide between Blizzaks or Michelin X-Ice or the Arctic Claw studable.

4. Then I have to buy a car or truck for me. I sold my small car in Florida before we came up here. I am considering getting a Subaru Forrester or mid-size truck like the Nissan Frontier 4x4. I prefer the car but I feel like I might need the truck for things like hauling wood, plowing, etc. Opinions? (For our first winter I’ll probably pay someone to clear my dirt driveway as needed. It is south-facing but has two turn in it and is a little steep).

I have many more questions but I'll post them in the appropriate forums. We look forward to meeting everyone once we get moved in!

Jeremy

Post subject: Re: New to Conifer and Colorado and thrilled to be here
Post Posted: Oct 5, 2014 10:46 pm 
Prolific Pinecam Poster
Prolific Pinecam Poster
Welcome to heaven!! :). We moved from south Texas three years ago, and love it here.

Post Posted: Oct 6, 2014 4:36 am 
Scanner Monitor
Scanner Monitor
Hi Jeremy. I can't really address any of your questions (others will), but welcome to paradise! :D

banner yet wave ..”

Post Posted: Oct 6, 2014 7:22 am 
Hi Tampa buddy! My husband and I moved from the New Tampa area to Pine a year ago. It's quite a change from Florida, but we love it! We live in Pine, very close to the Open Space. You can usually find us hiking there or in Staunton.
We use and have been happy with Allstate insurance. Our home inspection was done by Jeff Weichman at Access Services (303) 697-3510. He did a very thorough job. All Coloado Radon Mitigation did our radon stuff. GeoWater Services in Evergreen tested our well. But once you find a home inspector, like Jeff, he can set up the water and radon tests for you.
As far as snow tires, you may not need them on a Subaru if she is just commuting to Denver. We also sold a car in Florida prior to the move. I now own a Subaru Crosstrek and it's perfect for winter driving. No orobllems, even going up to the ski areas all winter. Our other vehicle is a Jeep, always a good choice up here, especially since our dirt road is not plowed.
Hope this helps! We are still learning the ropes of mountain living, but would gladly pass on any info we have gathered along the way. Good luck and welcome to the area! Make sure to give Zoka's a try next time you're in Pine. It's a great little restaurant/bar right by our house. :)

Post Posted: Oct 6, 2014 7:31 am 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
:waving: Welcome! Be sure to post your questions in the appropriate forums - many will not see them here but it's a good place to start! :D

Post Posted: Oct 6, 2014 7:35 am 
Whoa momma! A top Pinecam poster!
Whoa momma! A top Pinecam poster!
My neighbor uses Geo Water and likes them. Welcome to the area and to Pine Cam.

Post Posted: Oct 6, 2014 7:42 am 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
Welcome to the hills.

regarding the tires - I'd recommend the studded Artic claws. During the winter thats what my wife has on her Subaru and with the studs on the day after a snow event where everything has melted and re-frozen they give you that extra grip you need on those icy spots. they are noisier but worth the extra traction.

Post Posted: Oct 6, 2014 8:36 am 
And by the way, if anyone sees us driving around the neighborhood (black Subaru Impreza with cargo box on top) we are just learning the roads, testing commute times, and enjoying the views, not stalking anyone :)

Jeremy

Post Posted: Oct 6, 2014 8:38 am 
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
LOL - we've been here for 16 years and we STILL do this! LOL Welcome and enjoy :waving:

Post Posted: Oct 6, 2014 8:58 am 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
:multi: Welcome to the most beautiful, fun-loving, caring, part of of the country you will ever find. :multi: My husband and I moved here a year ago for retirement, from Indiana and loving it. I just prayed for you. :praying: Blessings to you and your family. :angelwings: :wiggle:

Post Posted: Oct 6, 2014 9:47 am 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
Welcome! I have relatives in Tampa. However, my father took his clan to the west long ago. I got great winter tires from AMIs tires at Richmond Hill. I'venever needed studs on my Subie, and I've had very steep driveways. However, the prediction for this winter is a lot of snow! I fyou already have one Subie, you'll definitely want a truck of some kind. Inevitably, it will come in handy. AllState insurance is good, and State Farm treated people well after the fires as far as I know. Many companies dropped their customers. I hate radon mitigation if the basement is an open hbasement and somewhat leaky, like ours was. :) I am a native of CO, and never heard of it until my 30s and I believe people are taking it way too far. Crack a window or something. My families have been here since before 1950, lead paint and all, and we are all healthy.
JMOs :)

Post Posted: Oct 6, 2014 9:49 am 
MussyMoose wrote:
Hi Tampa buddy! My husband and I moved from the New Tampa area to Pine a year ago. It's quite a change from Florida, but we love it! We live in Pine, very close to the Open Space. You can usually find us hiking there or in Staunton.
We use and have been happy with Allstate insurance. Our home inspection was done by Jeff Weichman at Access Services (303) 697-3510. He did a very thorough job. All Coloado Radon Mitigation did our radon stuff. GeoWater Services in Evergreen tested our well. But once you find a home inspector, like Jeff, he can set up the water and radon tests for you.
As far as snow tires, you may not need them on a Subaru if she is just commuting to Denver. We also sold a car in Florida prior to the move. I now own a Subaru Crosstrek and it's perfect for winter driving. No orobllems, even going up to the ski areas all winter. Our other vehicle is a Jeep, always a good choice up here, especially since our dirt road is not plowed.
Hope this helps! We are still learning the ropes of mountain living, but would gladly pass on any info we have gathered along the way. Good luck and welcome to the area! Make sure to give Zoka's a try next time you're in Pine. It's a great little restaurant/bar right by our house. :)

Thanks for the number to the inspector. I left him a message. Hopefully he's not too busy this time of year. I was here in May on my first house hunting trip and some local friends in Pine (who are also from Tampa) took my wife and I to eat at Zoka's. The food was great. We'll be eating there again for sure. We just drove by there yesterday after a short hike at Pine Lake. That was a beautiful place.

Jeremy

Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next