It is currently Mar 30, 2020 1:11 am 

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: New poster
Post Posted: Nov 27, 2015 6:42 pm 
Infrequent Pinecam poster
Hello folks. I moved to Colorado in Jan of this year, from Michigan. I currently live in the Golden area but would love to get up to Conifer /Evergreen area. Hopefully within the next 6-12 months. I am wanting to get somewhere with a little more snow then we get here in town. I am used to snow being on ground from Dec to end of March. Like we never saw the grass once the snow started to fall. Here it melts within a few hours :(

Can't wait to get to know you guys on here.

Thanks, Tim

Post subject: Re: New poster
Post Posted: Nov 27, 2015 7:16 pm 
Scanner Monitor
Scanner Monitor
Hi bubbs. Welcome to Pinecam. :D

In general, the higher your altitude, the more snow you will get. You might want to keep that in mind as you look for a place to live.

And into the forest I go,
To lose my mind
And find my soul.

<—-

Post Posted: Nov 27, 2015 7:26 pm 
Yea I thought that was gonna happen when I went from flatland Michigan to 6000 ft. Boy was I wrong.

Post Posted: Nov 28, 2015 9:33 am 
Whoa momma! A top Pinecam poster!
Hi bubbs,

Welcome to Pinecam. The mountains get weather when Golden, Littleton etc, does not. Depending upon Mother Nature, we can have snow on the ground from around Halloween until the beginning of June, not to mention it is a lot colder up here. So you need to make sure to have a vehicle, tires that can handle the elements. However, the beauty of the mountains in Winter is spectacular as is any other season (just winter lasts a whole lot longer up here). I especially love my forest (animal) neighbors. :coffee screen:

I consider my home my "cabin in the woods."

Post Posted: Nov 28, 2015 9:37 am 
Scanner Monitor
Scanner Monitor
Places around 9,000' in altitude get a *lot* more snow.

And into the forest I go,
To lose my mind
And find my soul.

<—-

Post Posted: Nov 28, 2015 6:14 pm 
Right I was really thinking Conifer area as we have to commute back down daily.

Post Posted: Nov 28, 2015 8:57 pm 
naturegirl2000 wrote:
Hi bubbs,

Welcome to Pinecam. The mountains get weather when Golden, Littleton etc, does not. Depending upon Mother Nature, we can have snow on the ground from around Halloween until the beginning of June, not to mention it is a lot colder up here. So you need to make sure to have a vehicle, tires that can handle the elements. However, the beauty of the mountains in Winter is spectacular as is any other season (just winter lasts a whole lot longer up here). I especially love my forest (animal) neighbors. :coffee screen:

I consider my home my "cabin in the woods."

How far up is that?

Post Posted: Nov 29, 2015 1:06 pm 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
Conifer Mountain gets lots of snow and some houses have great views but it can be windy.
Northern exposure will have more snow but you'll be out plowing while your neighbors across the way will just let it melt. Plus their heating bills will be less.
People up in Critchell (off Pleasant Park and Kuehster) can get upslopes and some really great snowstorms but they've become less frequent.
Hilldale Pines got a lot of snow this past week.
The banana belt (down HWY 126) gets less snow and is where a lot of fires (Buffalo Creek, High Meadow and Hayman fires) have come through.
I don't know anything about Evergreen; I know people skate on the lake but someone grooming the lake got killed when the ice gave way. :(
A good agent that's been in the area a while will know where you can experience winter again. I grew up in Canada and Minnesota.

Post Posted: Nov 29, 2015 3:11 pm 
Prolific Pinecam Poster
Prolific Pinecam Poster
Best of luck to you in your search for a new home! A few things to consider - one being I've heard that some homeowners are having difficulty obtaining homeowner's insurance, or having their insurance canceled due to being in a high fire area. Through a friend - a woman's insurance went up to $4,000/year (not a large house). She lives about 8 miles up North Elk Creek Road. Another consideration should be access - do you want to deal with a difficult driveway, or prefer a home with fairly easy access? Do you want to live on a maintained, or non-maintained road? If you want to garden, does the home have a sunny, flat area?

Septic and water issues:
If the house is on a septic system, find out how old it is, and how often it has to be pumped. Newer, contained systems have to be pumped more often and may be more expensive to maintain. If the septic system is older, it can be very costly to replace it.

If the house is on a well, find out what the recovery rate is, and if there have been any water issues. When I purchased my house, the previous owners said they had never had any low-water issues, but the well didn't produce enough water to obtain a mortgage. We had the well hydrofractured (26 years ago) and were able to buy the house. The previous owner had already agreed to the price (knowing there wasn't enough water to even take a shower), so I lucked out. We haven't had any water issues since.

Just some thoughts, and again, best of luck to you!

Post Posted: Nov 29, 2015 4:47 pm 
Hi bubbs,

The top of Conifer Mountain is just about 10,000 feet. And 'yes,' the altitude will take a little getting used to.

Yes. The heating bills will be more; however, at least you will not need an air conditioner. I am on the budget plan with Colorado Natural Gas. I pay the same amount every month and they reconcile the usage to the budget around June. However, they will adjust the monthly amount up or down about 1/2 way though their budget year so you don't have a huge credit or a huge debit. I had to buy a new furnace this past year which is supposed to be more energy efficient. Colorado Natural Gas adjusted my monthly payment downwards this past month as I now have a big credit.

Winter is the best time of year to go house hunting. I came house hunting in January. The house prices lowered significantly. I wanted to see how all the roads were maintained, how easy or difficult the drive ways were to navigate in the winter and wanted to see the worst weather conditions. The price of the home I purchased, dropped by $50,000, by the time I came here house hunting. I used Colorado Home finders web site and if there were no pictures of the home or property, I did not waste my time going to see it. At the time my Phoenix home on the market and was "move in ready." I expected the same of the home I was going to purchase here in Colorado.

I came the week after the area had its second blizzard in as many weeks. You also want to consider how easy or difficult the drive way will be to plow (e.g. are there places where snow can be plowed / stored off the drive way?). Do you want to plow your own driveway or hire someone to plow it for you?

Just a few things to think about.

Post Posted: Nov 29, 2015 5:30 pm 
Prolific Pinecam Poster
Prolific Pinecam Poster
We bought in Bailey 6 years ago, at about 8500 ft, and found we often got less snow up here then we did at our business in Lakewood. But the drive between Bailey and Lakewood leads through Conifer, which always seems to have way more snow then us here, especially on those cold, north facing slopes. If we can make it through Conifer in a major storm, we can make it to either Bailey or Lakewood. We used to have a place at 8500 ft near Blackhawk, and there would be times we would have tunnel through snow to get to the upper balcony, grab the railing and slide down to the ft door on the lower deck. The weather was so much harsher there at the same altitude. We'll take the nice melting snows of Bailey where we can run snowblowers in the sun and be grateful. :)

Post Posted: Nov 29, 2015 6:23 pm 
krm18 wrote:
We bought in Bailey 6 years ago, at about 8500 ft, and found we often got less snow up here then we did at our business in Lakewood. But the drive between Bailey and Lakewood leads through Conifer, which always seems to have way more snow then us here, especially on those cold, north facing slopes. If we can make it through Conifer in a major storm, we can make it to either Bailey or Lakewood. We used to have a place at 8500 ft near Blackhawk, and there would be times we would have tunnel through snow to get to the upper balcony, grab the railing and slide down to the ft door on the lower deck. The weather was so much harsher there at the same altitude. We'll take the nice melting snows of Bailey where we can run snowblowers in the sun and be grateful. :)

That Blackhawk home sounds both crazy and awesome hahaha. See I'm not a sun person. In Michigan we only see sun like 80 days a year. I don't like the sun

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next