It is currently Sep 15, 2019 11:53 am 

The Study Forum Additional Terms of Service here
Notice: all quoted material must be linked back to the original source.
No more than 4 sentences in quoted material.

Reply to topic  [ 239 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 20  Next

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Re: Firearms Magazines gone from King Soopers
Post Posted: Sep 15, 2018 9:30 am 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
MakMan- given your concern re suicide, you must be pro-life?

Post Posted: Sep 15, 2018 10:08 am 
Stratospheric Poster!
Stratospheric Poster!
This is the type of behavior you get when you combine a gun with an unhinged, leftist, anti-gun academician:

https://defensemaven.io/bluelivesmatter ... 54LFqqkiQ/

And you expect me to trust people like that with making policy regarding guns? I don't think so.

Post Posted: Sep 15, 2018 11:55 am 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
The left will add this to it’s tally book as a school shooting.

Post Posted: Sep 16, 2018 12:37 pm 
Whoa momma! A top Pinecam poster!
Whoa momma! A top Pinecam poster!
Crime Wave UK: Govt Moves to Stop Knife Sales as Blade Crime Hits 7-Year High

Quote:
British courts dealt with more than 21,100 knife crime cases in the year to June, according to Ministry of Justice figures....Rory Stewart, the justice minister, said: “Knife crime is horrifying – it causes catastrophic damage to families with tragic consequences....with authorities earlier this year arresting a man for carrying a potato peeler in a public place “without reasonable excuse”.

https://www.breitbart.com/london/2018/0 ... ade-crime/

Why wait until knives become a problem in this country. Why not take a preemptive measure and ban knives along with guns, potato peelers, hammers and any object which could kill or injure another person? Not just assault knives (the ones with pointy ends and sharp edges) but anything sharp including pointy sticks. And don't get me started on scissors. Once we ban everything dangerous, there will be no more crime. How could anybody be against a common sense law like that? Even if it saves only one life, wouldn't it be worth it?

Post Posted: Sep 16, 2018 1:08 pm 
Stratospheric Poster!
Stratospheric Poster!
Makman, I'm not trying to be rude or callous towards you. Honestly. But when you suggest the same ideas that I've been hearing from those on the left for decades, ideas that have proven not to work, it's a little hard to take you seriously. I have no doubt you'd like to see the problem of people committing crimes with guns solved. So would I. But I'm not going to support any idea that involves further restrictions on a Constitutional right that is already they most restricted and regulated of any right. Period.

More laws are not the answer. We have enough laws. We're already subjected to enough background checks and waiting periods, and magazine restrictions, and gun free zones, and permitting processes, etc...

What we don't have is a society that teaches personal responsibility. That started going away in the 60s. Discipline is no longer a good thing for children. Telling children "no" is frowned upon. Fathers (and sometimes mothers) leave their families. We're taught that having faith and believing in a higher power is nonsense. We allow children to "express themselves" in all sorts of destructive ways. We no longer have a society that thinks certain behaviors are abnormal. Morality is a thing of the past as are family and traditional values. There are no real consequences any longer to anti-social behavior.

For crying out loud. Kids are being taught that they aren't necessarily a boy or girl even though they are a boy or girl. How in the holy hell do you expect people to grasp the more complicated aspects of successfully integrating into society with proper values and respect for others when they can't figure something that simple out for themselves?

You need look no further than the moral wasteland that is the modern progressive movement to find the problem with our society.

Post Posted: Sep 16, 2018 1:18 pm 
Stratospheric Poster!
Stratospheric Poster!
Coming soon to your neighborhood restaurant.

Mountain folk see the mountains when they drive.
City folk who live in the mountains only see the bumper of the car in front of them.

Post Posted: Sep 16, 2018 8:06 pm 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
I'm just here because I saw 11 pages of postings and can only imagine the back and forth...all the same talking points parroted by MSNBC / FOX.

Common sense gun control
What part of shall not be infringed do you not understand
Nobody needs a _______ to hunt with
That's not high capacity, it's standard capacity
Mass shootings
Chicago
NRA
Can't fix stupid
Sign this White House petition
The Left
The Right

Anyways...I don't read magazines, I don't affiliate myself with a political party, I love guns but think the NRA sucks and are a scam and I don't need them to take my money or "stand and fight"...and I do not buy $25 bags of popcorn from the boyscouts at the front of kings soopers.

I'm out

Good times.

Firearms training and instruction. One of your neighbors.
http://www.ape-academy.com

Post Posted: Sep 16, 2018 10:00 pm 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
AA, I am not sure where you stand but I encourage you to write poetry. Our society and world have gotten more complex but more beautiful in my lifetime. It is important to describe it and stay engaged with it all.

BG, I appreciate your comment about rudeness. Being called a liar and thick sarcasm gets old real fast. You have strong opinions and concerns and articulate them well. I respect that.

I am getting old and share many of your concerns about the direction of our society. I think it is a mistake to attribute our moral challenges to progressivism or conservatism. I believe the best I can do is live my own life according to my values and trust that may be an example for others. Civility, respecting others, and the Golden Rule all reasonate with me. I remain optimistic that the America I grew up in is becoming stronger and better.

Gun ownership rights have constitutional protections with legal limits society must continue to debate and modify. I am concerned about guns as a serious threat to public health. I seek solutions that reduce that threat while respecting the rights and concerns of gun owners.

I started this thread in favor of an assault weapons ban. I have learned about “assault” weapons and no longer see a ban as appropriate or practical. I have learned that the academic literature about the benefits and harms of armed citizens is not as clearly harmful as I thought. There are certainly harms needing pubic health study to understand and inform policy.

I remain convinced that a Red Flag law for Colorado can be written to address the Public Health risks of guns in the hands of possibly dangerous people while respecting gun rights and due process.

Post Posted: Sep 17, 2018 4:50 am 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
MakMan- by “dangerous people” do you mean criminals, or those who might choose to end their own lives? Enforcing existing laws would be a good start on keeping criminals unarmed. When prohibited persons are arrested and charged they should be prosecuted on the gun charge, instead too often it’s reduced or plead down. When prohibited persons try to buy from an FFL and are denied on the NICS check, how often do the police show up and arrest that person? Never.
If you’re talking about those who might choose to end their own lives, why is it anyone’s business? I don’t believe for a minute that the collective left is interested in preventing suicide, it’s just another way to take guns away.

Post Posted: Sep 17, 2018 8:07 pm 
Stratospheric Poster!
Stratospheric Poster!
Ape Academy wrote:
I'm just here because I saw 11 pages of postings and can only imagine the back and forth...all the same talking points parroted by MSNBC / FOX.

Common sense gun control
What part of shall not be infringed do you not understand
Nobody needs a _______ to hunt with
That's not high capacity, it's standard capacity
Mass shootings
Chicago
NRA
Can't fix stupid
Sign this White House petition
The Left
The Right

Anyways...I don't read magazines, I don't affiliate myself with a political party, I love guns but think the NRA sucks and are a scam and I don't need them to take my money or "stand and fight"...and I do not buy $25 bags of popcorn from the boyscouts at the front of kings soopers.

I'm out

Good times.

Sounds like you know everything so probably no need to listen to (or read, in this case) what anyone else has to think.

So...bye.

Post Posted: Sep 17, 2018 8:11 pm 
Stratospheric Poster!
Stratospheric Poster!
MakMan wrote:
AA, I am not sure where you stand but I encourage you to write poetry. Our society and world have gotten more complex but more beautiful in my lifetime. It is important to describe it and stay engaged with it all.

BG, I appreciate your comment about rudeness. Being called a liar and thick sarcasm gets old real fast. You have strong opinions and concerns and articulate them well. I respect that.

I am getting old and share many of your concerns about the direction of our society. I think it is a mistake to attribute our moral challenges to progressivism or conservatism. I believe the best I can do is live my own life according to my values and trust that may be an example for others. Civility, respecting others, and the Golden Rule all reasonate with me. I remain optimistic that the America I grew up in is becoming stronger and better.

Gun ownership rights have constitutional protections with legal limits society must continue to debate and modify. I am concerned about guns as a serious threat to public health. I seek solutions that reduce that threat while respecting the rights and concerns of gun owners.

I started this thread in favor of an assault weapons ban. I have learned about “assault” weapons and no longer see a ban as appropriate or practical. I have learned that the academic literature about the benefits and harms of armed citizens is not as clearly harmful as I thought. There are certainly harms needing pubic health study to understand and inform policy.

I remain convinced that a Red Flag law for Colorado can be written to address the Public Health risks of guns in the hands of possibly dangerous people while respecting gun rights and due process.

Obviously you and I will disagree on many points. I am heartened to see your feelings about an AWB and on armed citizens have changed. It takes a big person to admit that.

Post Posted: Sep 17, 2018 10:14 pm 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
BG, I am embarrassed as an American, at how over-armed we are, to our detriment and suffering. It is overwhelming shown that completed suicide is two to ten to mes more likely when a gun is available to the mentally ill victm. We need better public health research to determine if the benefits of concealed carry are greater than the harms. That research should guide policy and law.

What have you learned from these posts, BG, to modify your hardened and bitter views?

Reply to topic  [ 239 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 20  Next