:eat: Looking for a recipe? Find and print it from the Pinecam Cookbook :chef:

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Cheesemaking
Post Posted: Oct 24, 2019 9:57 am 
Whoa momma! A top Pinecam poster!
Ok, here we go.

I am retired and as if I don’t have enough hobbies I started to learn to make cheese with a kit from New England Cheesemaking Supply. I quickly learned that most grocery store milks don’t cut it because they are Ultra High Temperature pasteurized. I could do ricotta and cottage cheese but everything else failed.

There is a dairy in Wheat Ridge that sells unpasteurized milk but it was not worth a special trip. I found Kalona Super Natural and they are a small Amish Mennonite farm in Iowa and sell to Natural Grocers. They do not UHT process. I’ve done mozzarella and gouda with their milk. I am working on goat cheese now.

New England Cheesemaking is an excellent resource but the biggest thing is getting a source for non UHT milk.

Post subject: Re: Cheesemaking
Post Posted: Oct 24, 2019 11:58 am 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Thanks for this thread mummydog!

I'm super interested in making gouda, especially if it can be made with the Kalona milk!!!

Questions about your gouda:
1) Do you use a regular cheese press or do you press it in some other way?
2) Do you do a wax coating for curing or is there an alternative to that?
3) Do you put your gouda in a temperature/humidty controlled environment to cure?

I've made mozzarella quite a few times. It was great with raw milk! But when I used pasteurized milk is tasted no better than good-quality grocery store mozzarella.

I've also made both ricotta and panner (both super simple). With raw milk both are awesome, but just so-so with pasturized. I used regular pasteurized (not the UHT stuff) but I suspect with Kalona they would be far better. I've just not tried it again for many years now.

I had been thinking about getting raw cow's milk again from Ebert Farms, since they deliver to Conifer. But I can't really handle 1/2 gal every week (minimum order), unless I am making my own kefir, yogurt, cheese, etc. on a regular basis. Not sure I am ready to commit the time again.

Post Posted: Oct 24, 2019 12:23 pm 
Yes, I use a press and wax coating. What I do for curing is put it in a big picnic cooler in the garage so no one gets into it.

Post Posted: Oct 24, 2019 1:30 pm 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Well that's one of my biggest issues re "cured" cheese making is the cost of supplies. A press is close to $300 and I certainly don't want any more kitchen gadgets with no place to store them.

I've seen plenty of homemade presses but those too require tools that I don't have (and don't want).

When I made panner, I contained it in tightly secured cheese cloth and then placed between 2 cutting boards with a gallon jug of water as the press. Totally "good enough". The edges were soggy but I was okay with that. I used the edges as ricotta and then made saag panner :love: with the rest.

So mummydog have you ever made brie? I saw a cooking show on that years ago, it doesn't need a press. But I never tried making it. I'm wondering if the Kalona milks works for that?

Post Posted: Oct 24, 2019 1:45 pm 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
This is not meant to be political, but historical. Meacham made a 1400 pound cheese as a gift to President Jackson.... 1400 pounds!

Quote:
He hired a carpenter to build a special structure, containing a frame, hoops, and press several feet in diameter. The frame was lined with special cheese-cloth and for days the curd made from the milk on his 150 cow dairy farm was put into this frame. Each day the whey was squeezed out and the end product weighed 1,400 pounds. The cheese was boxed, sealed and ready for delivery to President Jackson in Washington.

http://sandycreeknyhistory.com/big-cheese.htm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ]