It is currently Dec 9, 2019 4:07 am 

:eat: Looking for a recipe? Find and print it from the Pinecam Cookbook :chef:

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Re: Homemade mustard recipes
Post Posted: Oct 27, 2019 7:38 am 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
I usually don’t develop a new recipe in such a public way. But this has been kinda fun!
Okay here’s the next batch of mustard.

It looks nicer than the previous batch, mostly due to the addition of a pinch of turmeric powder. It thickened up nicely.

Taste, taste ... Oh yes! Really nice flavor. Quite complex. I like it! Almost no bitterness at all!!
Taste, taste … Yikes, still rather spicy. Right on the edge for me.
Taste, taste … The texture is slightly crunchy, which IMO is quite nice. However, I’m sure most people would prefer it to be smoother. The type of equipment is probably the key factor here. My immersion blender is very old and the blade is no longer very sharp. Most mustard recipes seem to call for a regular blender (which I don’t have nor want) and most say to shy away from food processors if you want the mustard smooth.

Bottom line: Well I call this a success! :applause: :multi:

I’m quite sure that the excellent flavor is due to the flavorful soaking liquid.
I’ll be typing up the full recipe and instructions sometime soon. If anyone wants it, send me a PM with your email address.

@Elkcreekgeek I found an interesting website (I meant to bookmark but guess I didn’t). It said that for maximum heat do not use wine or beer (ave pH of 3-4) for the initial “wetting” of the ground seeds and powder. It says to use just enough filtered water to moisten the mustard to start the reaction. Then wait 10 minutes before adding beer/wine and vinegar.

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3