It is currently Oct 15, 2019 4:53 am 

:eat: Looking for a recipe? Find and print it from the Pinecam Cookbook :chef:

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Air Fryers
Post Posted: May 8, 2019 11:35 am 
Infrequent Pinecam poster
Infrequent Pinecam poster
I bought the Emeril Lagasse 360 air fryer a week ago. When I tried the rotisserie spit, the forks did not fit the chicken well, so I just ended up roasting it. Has anyone else use an air fryer? What is your experience?

Post subject: Re: Air Fryers
Post Posted: May 8, 2019 8:04 pm 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
I've been looking at air fryers, but so far have not convinced myself to buy one. I can't justify giving up precious kitchen or pantry real estate so far. I just don't think the science behind it is sound. I have so many other ways to cook.
I have an instantpot that I use a couple times a week, which I love.
I have so many small kitchen appliances that I really don't want another. I hope I haven't discouraged you, tho, and would like to hear about your experiencs.

"The greatest casualty is being forgotten..."

Post Posted: May 9, 2019 8:20 am 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
We have an Airfryer Oven XL and use it a couple of times a week love it.

We have cooked a whole chicken on the rotisserie a few times I like using my grill for that style of chicken a little better.

Post Posted: May 9, 2019 8:40 am 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
We were given one by my mother in-law, used it a couple time for reheating leftovers, worked really well, don't normally bring fry's home from a restaurant but do now as the air fryer makes them about as good as they were when fresh.

and those that wonder what happened

Post Posted: May 9, 2019 9:19 am 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
Love love love my AF! It’s a small Black & Decker. Also just inherited a Ninja Foodie. It’s an AF and Insta Pot combined. Getting used to it. Cooked 2 Cornish hens 15 minutes in insta pot. Then switched lid to AF, cooked 5 min per side to crisp up. So tender! Total cook time was like 30 min. Makes a great Ribeye steak too when it’s snowy out . Lol

Post Posted: May 9, 2019 12:43 pm 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
Our 20+ year old, $10 Monkey Ward toaster is finally showing signs of its age and I may have to replace it. I've been eyeballing a toaster oven/air fryer made by Cusinart. I'm sort of in your camp, charm - don't know if I want to give up the counter space for yet another gadget, but I have some recipes that I would love to have an air fryer for!

I posted my dilemma on a cooking forum and got a lot of positive feedback; about 3 to 1 positive to negative. I may do the deed here in a month or so...

Post Posted: May 10, 2019 5:56 am 
Whoa momma! A top Pinecam poster!
I've had a Della XL air fryer for over two years, use it a couple times a week, and love it! Quick, tasty, and easy to clean. I mostly use it for potatoes; fries, tater tots, hash browns, home fries. I've also made breaded chicken and pork chops and both were delicious. We like our fried foods very crispy and, though I rarely use any oil at all, everything comes out perfect. I cook pretty much everything at the max 390 degree setting.

I'm on my second toaster oven/rotisserie in over a decade, this time a Hamilton Beach 31103A. I can't count how many chickens, game hens, and ducks (my favorite) I've cooked on the rotisseries...pretty much the only way I cook small birds in the winter any more. I dry brine them with sea salt on a rack in the refrigerator overnight, makes for a real crispy skin. Stab the forks into the fleshiest parts of the bird, and truss real well with kitchen twine. Tons of recipes and videos online.

I like the idea of the combo units, but have yet to find one with all the features I want. With a cooking chamber that size you really need at least 1800 watts to cook efficiently...especially with the air fryer function. And no digital controls/readouts for me...byproduct of too many years in the restaurant industry. lol Cuisinart has come the closest, but I'm still waiting for an 1800 watt toaster oven with rotisserie/air fryer/dehydrator and mechanical controls. That would actually save counter space for me since my air fryer and toaster oven currently live next to each other.

Post Posted: May 10, 2019 6:29 am 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
We have a gowiseusa air fryer and love it. Fast, easy and convenient.

Post Posted: May 10, 2019 8:21 am 
I bought a Phillips about 3 years ago, and got a cookbook to go with. The cookbook was a bit disappointing as recipes used a lot of processed foods, which I avoid. AF got used mainly for fried calamari and chicken, so was a bit of an expensive toy. A couple months ago I purchased “Air Fryer Perfection” by America’s Test Kitchen. This book is great as the recipes are mostly made from scratch with little processed stuff. I’ve done chicken several ways, cornish hen, pork tenderloin and all have come out great! There are also recipes for multi course meals, haven’t tried that yet.Highly recommend this book, order online from ATK and it is about $15.

FYI, an AF is basically a mini convection oven. It doesn’t really “fry” and if you already have convection you could probably get the same results. The upside is that is one appliance with one basket to clean, so that’s a boon. No sink full of pots to wash!

Post Posted: May 10, 2019 9:32 am 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
I just read in one of my bird groups....they have teflon and are toxic to birds! I guess I won't be getting one! But now that makes me wonder about my waffle bowl maker?!!! Guess I better do some research. The toxicity is at over 500 degrees so you need to be mindful of that.

Post Posted: May 11, 2019 8:31 am 
Yes, if you heat teflon to 536°F it releases toxic particles and fumes. At that same temperature, cooking oils/fats also release toxic fumes. The only time you might reach these temps while cooking is if you accidentally leave a pan on the stove to overheat and burn. Standalone air fryers have a max temp of ~400°, and toaster oven/air fryer combos have a max temp of ~480° and use stainless steel or aluminum baskets. Regardless, if you keep birds as pets you should probably keep them as far from the kitchen (and laundry room, and bathroom, and garage) as possible.

Post Posted: May 11, 2019 9:24 am 
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
I have been thinking for a while about getting an air fryer or a Ninja Foodie so have watched this topic. Coincidentally, AllRecipes.com just had a link to this article in their email today that you all might be interested in seeing:

12 Best Chicken Recipes for the Air Fryer

And looking around AllRecipes, there is also this page which has 113 recipes:

Air Fryer Recipes

Some of the recipes look really good, maybe I should think harder about getting one. Can anyone tell me how an air fryer compares to the air fryer feature of the Ninja foodie?

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next