It is currently Dec 10, 2019 7:34 pm 

:eat: Looking for a recipe? Find and print it from the Pinecam Cookbook :chef:

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Re: Any advice for breadmaking at altitude?
Post Posted: Jan 30, 2019 1:20 pm 
Whoa momma! A top Pinecam poster!
Whoa momma! A top Pinecam poster!
Another trick but not as much fun as cookies...place your covered rising bowl on a heating pad set to low. Once the rise gets started you can shut the pad off.

Post Posted: Jan 30, 2019 1:39 pm 
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
You can also proof your bread in a microwave on a very low setting with a cup of water.

Proof Your Bread Dough in the Microwave

Quote:
Start by microwaving one cup of water in a microwave-safe glass for two minutes on high power. Once the water is heated, place the covered bowl of bread dough in the microwave, along with the water, and close the door. As the water continues to steam in the closed microwave, it creates a warm, humid environment, similar to that of a bread dough proofer. The warmer and more humid the air is, the faster the bread should rise.

The dough is ready when it has almost doubled in size, which should take about 30 to 45 minutes. If it seems like the bread needs more time, remove the dough from the microwave and reheat the water. Return the bowl of dough to the microwave, and check after 10 to 15 minutes.

But I think this would take a lot more electricity than using a very low temperature warm oven with a pan of water.

In the colder weather (9 months up here), I proof my dough near our wood stove. In the summer, I place the dough in a window with direct sun which is quite warm

Post Posted: Jan 30, 2019 2:25 pm 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
Thanks for those tips - I'll file those with the others along with my recipe. Once the weather is nice we get a lot of passive solar in our dining room on the south side of the house, so it shouldn't be as much of a problem, but both the heating pad and the microwave could come in handy, especially when I don't have the time/ingredients/inclination to make other baked goods on the side.

For now, I have a boatload of oatmeal cranberry cookies that I'm trying to keep my hands away from! All the neighbors are going to get a visit shortly... ;-D

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2