It is currently Jul 22, 2019 8:56 pm 

:eat: Looking for a recipe? Find and print it from the Pinecam Cookbook :chef:

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Why do I have so much trouble with pectin?
Post Posted: Oct 30, 2018 3:06 pm 
Whoa momma! A top Pinecam poster!
A thought to ponder on a finally snowy day :)

It seemed like a good day to do the last of the jams and jellies and put the canning pot away for the season. Among other things I make fruit jams, jellies and conserves and do them the old fashioned way, just keep stirring. I can never get those that call for pectin to set up. Today was hot pepper preserves day, same thing. I am guessing that the issue is that I need to boil longer than the recipe states given that we are at altitude. Thoughts and advice? I love these preserves to give as gifts in 1/4 pint jars, got it right once and of course now can’t remember what I did.

Stay warm and safe out there. Snow picking up here in Marshdale.

Post subject: Re: Why do I have so much trouble with pectin?
Post Posted: Oct 31, 2018 4:19 pm 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
mummydog wrote:
A thought to ponder on a finally snowy day :)

It seemed like a good day to do the last of the jams and jellies and put the canning pot away for the season. Among other things I make fruit jams, jellies and conserves and do them the old fashioned way, just keep stirring. I can never get those that call for pectin to set up. Today was hot pepper preserves day, same thing. I am guessing that the issue is that I need to boil longer than the recipe states given that we are at altitude. Thoughts and advice? I love these preserves to give as gifts in 1/4 pint jars, got it right once and of course now can’t remember what I did.

Stay warm and safe out there. Snow picking up here in Marshdale.

I put up jam/jelly every year. Reminder we boil at a lower temp then 212 because of altitude. Per the instructions I use for altitude it says to add about a 1/4 to 1/3 (envelope)more of the pectin then what the recipe calls for. Mine sets perfect every time.

Hope that helps.

~Elph

Post Posted: Nov 1, 2018 7:52 am 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
We live at 7400 feet. I recently had success with a hot pepper jelly recipe using Pomona pectin. It set well and requires far less sugar. I did not boil it longer than the recipe called for. Good Luck!

Post Posted: Nov 2, 2018 6:53 am 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
I make lots and lots of jam many times throughout the year. I've been doing that for uncountable years.

I use to do it the old fashion way (no added pectin) but I really hate to cook the fruit that long. It takes up so much time and destroys too many nutrients.

Then I started using regular commercial pectin but hated all that added sugar. Even the "low sugar" options were too much sugar for me.

Quite a few years ago I discovered Pomona pectin. WOW!!! What a difference!!! I will never go back to traditional ways of making jam. Now I only use ~1/4 cup of sugar for every 4 cups of prepared fruit (instead of 4 cups of sugar the traditional ways)! My 9000 ft elevation no longer matters a bit!

But to answer the OPs question: if the fruit you are using does not have enough of it's own natural pectin then it just might not get thick until you have driven off much more of the juices. Typically reduce the volume by half. For some things this means cooking for hours (ugh) depending on the size of your batch, your elevation, amount of heat and how often & vigorously you stir to drive off the liquids.

Post Posted: Nov 2, 2018 8:36 am 
Three recommendations for Pomona Pectin and I will try it! Thanks all, Pinecam is such a great resource.

Post Posted: Jan 26, 2019 6:22 pm 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
if I water bath my chicken soup. do I have to freeze the jars or can I keep them in the cupboard ?? and how long? I'm new at this. Thanks for any help .

Post Posted: Jan 26, 2019 7:29 pm 
Hi and welcome to the world of canning!

Water bath canning is only suitable for high acid produce like fruits and tomatoes, though tomatoes are considered borderline and many of us add a small amount of bottled lemon juice just to be sure. Low acid foods, like most veggies and anything containing meat or poultry (even soup or stock) should be pressure canned to prevent the growth of nasty bacteria.

How long ago did you make your soup? If a day or so ago, you *might* open the jars, pour the contents into a pot, bring to a good boil and then freeze in plastic food grade containers like Ziploc. If you put the jars in the freezer there is a good chance that once the contents freeze and expand, the jars would shatter in your freezer. If your soup was made more than a day or so I would dump the contents and lids; you can wash and reuse the jars and rings.

A really good resource and “bible” is the Ball Blue Book of Canning, which you can order online or get at your library. It is very thorough and clear and also provides guidance for what we need to do at our elevations as canning times must be increased.

Wish I had better news for you, but you will surely improve and become confident. Good luck!

Post Posted: Jan 27, 2019 4:06 pm 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
Thanks mummydog.. I need all the help I can get ;) Making the soup tomorrow. Do you need a special pressure cooker ?? I bought a Fager Pressure cooker about 20 years ago. Never used it. Just sitting in my cabinet looking pretty :\ Could I use that for canning ? Just was wondering

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ]