It is currently Dec 11, 2019 1:13 am 

:eat: Looking for a recipe? Find and print it from the Pinecam Cookbook :chef:

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Opinions on meal delivery services?
Post Posted: Mar 16, 2018 9:38 am 
Whoa momma! A top Pinecam poster!
Hi all,

I have been single for a few years now and while I really love to cook, and have done stints in restaurant kitchens, sometimes the hassle and insurmountable leftovers get to me. Have you used meal kits like Blue Apron or Hello Fresh? Opinions on the convenience and value are welcome. I certainly know how to cook so that is not a need. It is mainly the convenience and not too many leftovers that I am looking for. Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Opinions on meal delivery services?
Post Posted: Mar 16, 2018 10:02 am 
Prolific Pinecam Poster
Prolific Pinecam Poster
My friends had Blue Apron. I wasn't impressed - some of the ingredients looked just okay and some of the meals are more complicated than others plus I thought they were costly. Don't know about Hello Fresh. I've been single for a while and when I don't want leftovers I just do a small protein and salad or vegetable. Usually on the weekend I'll do something where I can have leftovers and then can freeze them. Hope this helps.

Post Posted: Mar 16, 2018 12:10 pm 
Posts pretty often
Posts pretty often
We've tried several services and for the most part the dishes were unique and tasty and the leftovers were minimal.
The thing that bothered me was the packaging waste. Most come in boxes with padding and cooling packages and while they usually are recyclable/eco-friendly it's extra work to break everything down. On top of that, most of the individual ingredients each came with their own packaging. Everything in a tiny ziploc or plastic jar. So the meals were convenient but a lot went in to the garbage/recycling bin.

Post Posted: Mar 16, 2018 2:49 pm 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
i use the king soopers an safeway delis or frozen lean cousin...j

Post Posted: Mar 16, 2018 4:01 pm 
Prolific Pinecam Poster
Prolific Pinecam Poster
Something someone wrote just made me think of this. Costco has some wonderful prepared meals that you could just bring home and break up the portions and use as you want. Just another option.

Post Posted: Mar 16, 2018 10:17 pm 
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
I tried one of them for the same reasons (tired of cooking. I want to be the one that shows up at 7:30 and eats). It was not worth the cost. Now Johnny has me thinking about King's Soopers Deli and home delivery options. hmmmmm

If you have a pet you wish to add to the Rainbow Bridge Site, please either post in the Pet Forum Rainbow Bridge Page viewtopic.php?f=85&t=78851 or PM me with pet names you would like them added. If you have others already there, please give me their names so I can add your pet with them.

Post Posted: Mar 17, 2018 6:07 am 
Most of my FB friends said the same, and while it saves a trip to the store you still need to do a huge amount of prep. But it gave me an idea...I pulled out my dog eared copy of Barbara Kafka’s Microwave Gourmet. Most dishes give portions for one, and most use one dish. And you don’t have to clean the stove afterwards.

Post Posted: Mar 17, 2018 2:41 pm 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
I have been using Home Chef for quite a while now. We get 3 meals a week and then we cook whatever the rest of the week. I tried Blue Apron but I wasn't impressed and their meals used a lot of pans and bowls. I really like Home Chef...much more to choose from! In the summer they do Barbecue meals as well. When my son came home from Fire Season all of a sudden I had 3 mouths to feed so we went to receiving packages for 4 people instead of two. Leftovers were ok as I would take them to work for lunch but now I found a meal service that lets you choose for 1-4 people so we are going to try them in the next couple of weeks. That one is called Plated. www.plated.com

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ]