It is currently Jul 21, 2019 10:54 am 

:eat: Looking for a recipe? Find and print it from the Pinecam Cookbook :chef:

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Funny article about Instant Pots :)
Post Posted: Jan 29, 2018 10:22 am 
Pinecam Hall of Fame poster!
I just giggled when I read this article. I do not own an instant pot so guess that I could relate. :lol:

Quote:
Let me make this as crystal clear as I possibly can—I do not care about the out-of-body experience that occurred last night when you sunk your teeth into the most succulent, falls-right-off-the-bone pork shoulder after just 45 minutes of cooking. I did not need to know about the big batch of rice that you so perfectly steamed with your eyes closed and hands tied behind your back (I was busy charring my rice to the bottom of my saucepan at home, okay?).

http://www.myrecipes.com/news/i-dont-ow ... 18012712PM

A fun article to say the least. :animated laughing: :eat:

Post subject: Re: Funny article about Instant Pots :)
Post Posted: Jan 29, 2018 12:05 pm 
I had to look up what an instant pot is. Good lord, "Multi- Use Programmable Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Steamer, Sauté, Yogurt Maker and Warmer " - a pot with a computer in it controlling the cooking. Why is the cook needed at all except to dump in the ingredients?

That was a funny article and yes I can relate. I read food blogs sometimes and the author's rapture over some food that sounds perfectly horrible to me or their magical successes does seem ridiculous after a while.

And why do food blogs have to have 20 paragraphs with almost nothing about the recipe at the bottom of the page - the authors children's day, the way the sun shone that day, how great the recipe worked for ALL family members. I now just scroll down to the bottom of the page to see the recipe and skip all the meaningless verbiage.

I guess I've turned into a curmudgeon when it comes to these recipe blogs. Oh well, back to basics using my pots with a lid and frying pans, no computers involved, just me and my stove.

Post Posted: Jan 29, 2018 12:57 pm 
Oh yes! LOL I go to a food blog for a recipe and have to read about how the author's daughter left late for school and blah, blah, blah...........I'm with you, just scroll down and read the darned recipe. LOL

Post Posted: Jan 29, 2018 7:58 pm 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
Funny article. I do own electric pressure cookers (not instant pots), have for a number of years and I do swear by them because of the incredible amount of time they save. I skip to the recipe section too in any blog unless it specifically relates to methods used in the cooking.

Post Posted: Jan 29, 2018 8:31 pm 
Whoa momma! A top Pinecam poster!
Whoa momma! A top Pinecam poster!
I love my instant pot, made leek, potato and ham soup, one pot used and it was so good, took 40 mins

Post Posted: Apr 24, 2018 12:42 pm 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
I've heard so much about these prolific Instant Pots.
Seems tempting to down size my kitchen cabinets and re-home my pressure cooker, crock pots (1 large,1 small) and toss my steamer insert and several saucepans & stockpots. All have which served me well for many, many years. Let's throw in Hubby's rice cooker as well.
I simply can't trust that these new electronically controlled devices will hold up for a reasonable period of time. And by reasonable, I mean at least 10 years! I use a 30+ year old toaster, yet we seem to be replacing coffee makers and irons every 2 years. Newer appliances just don't seem to hold up like older models. I'm not ready to toss my pedestrian cooking tools just yet.

Post Posted: Apr 24, 2018 12:47 pm 
Yep - I know exactly what you mean.

Post Posted: Apr 24, 2018 1:00 pm 
Posts Semi-Regularly
Posts Semi-Regularly
I'm still using my grandmother's cast iron dutch oven - never fails to work, never needs repair or replacing, cost me nothing, & will cook virtually anything & on or in any heat source (oven, stove, campfire, etc.). How's that for flexibility!

Post Posted: Apr 24, 2018 1:51 pm 
Can't go wrong with cast iron! I also use 2 skillets - one from each grandma and the rest are from both of our parents. I've got lots of cast iron but never bought any.

Post Posted: May 5, 2018 11:54 am 
Stratospheric Poster!
Stratospheric Poster!
So...I bought a MultiPot. Yesterday, while at work, I thought how nice it would be to have some chicken when I got home. I walked in the door a few hours later and my MultiPot had cooked the chicken and sides, set the table, opened a bottle of wine and lit candles. It was heavenly.

So, I've put the oven, stove, microwave, crock pot, rice cooker, other pots/pans, coffee maker, fridge and freezer, along with chef-gal and her old toaster, on Craigslist.

After using it I can see the attraction. It's fast and convenient but there is a learning curve. I don't really like to cook but it's fun trying this thing out. It's very easy to make healthier meals and that's something we could do a little more of. Lately we've kind of fallen into the prepared or frozen food trap because of work schedules. This thing makes it easier. Don't even have to thaw stuff.

I haven't read too many blogs about them but I'm thinking the reviews on Amazon I read while researching the pros/cons of the various pots are pretty much the same...everyone's so surprised they've managed to survive as long as they have without having one of these things.

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ]