It is currently Dec 15, 2019 9:41 am 

:eat: Looking for a recipe? Find and print it from the Pinecam Cookbook :chef:

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Zucchini Pizza Crust
Post Posted: Feb 20, 2017 3:27 pm 
Active Pinecam Poster
Active Pinecam Poster
Had some leftover spiralized zucchini I didn't want to use for spaghetti substitute today, so I found a simple pizza crust recipe on the internet that used the zucchini (3 small to medium ones), 1 cup of wheat flour, 2 eggs, 1 cup of grated cheese (I used parmesan and extra sharp cheddar because that is what I had) and some Italian spices and salt. Thought it sounded intriguing, so I ground up the zucchini a bit more, wrung out the water per the recipe and mixed it up with the other ingredients. It was supposed to be baked on a preheated pizza stone on parchment at 450F, so I did, for about 12 minutes until the crust just started to brown (the recipe called for 10 min, but my crust didn't begin to brown at 10 min). Then I pulled it out, left the oven at 450F, added the toppings and put it back in for another 6 minutes or so until the cheese melted.

It wasn't bad, but there were a few issues that I would like to address for next time. First, the crust wasn't thin enough; I couldn't tell exactly how thick I was making it, and it wound up about 3/8' thick, and I think 1/4" would have been more balanced with the pizza. However, the crust did support holding the slice in one hand and I wonder if 1/4" would have done that. Second, it was too dry. I followed the recipe and squeezed out the water from the zucchini, but I think now I should have left it in. I'm wondering if that would have been enough to alleviate the dryness problem? Or is there something else I should add? Should I maybe reduce the oven temp after the stone is heated before cooking the crust? (I regularly make brownies with grated zucchini (I sometimes even use frozen and thawed and just drained) and black beans and I never squeeze the water out of the zucchini and they come out nice and moist, but plenty firm enough. Thanks for the suggestions.

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ]