It is currently Jul 24, 2019 12:19 am 

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Geographic Forecast Terms defined
Post Posted: Apr 29, 2016 12:44 pm 
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Oh my, Big Time poster!
Since I often get this question, I thought I would create a post and turn it "sticky" for everyone to easily refer to. Below are the definitions I typically use when referring to geographic areas across Colorado.

Mountains - basically the terrain west of the Front Range Crest, so a line from Longs peak south to Mt Evans and Kenosha Pass to continue to the Sangre de Cristo mountains and west to the western slope. So along the I-70 corridor, this would be the area from appx Idaho Springs to Glenwood Springs. Withing this area there are real mountains and mountain valleys that have different weather as well. The Southwest Mountains include the San Juan mountains (La Garita mountains and La Plata mountains and San Juans). The Central Mountains include Mosquito mountains (Tenmile range), the the Sawatch Range and Elk Mountains (Ruby Range, Gore Range). The Northern Mountains include the Flat Tops, Rabbit Ears range, Medicine Bow Range and Park Range). The Southern mountains would be the Sangre de Cristo range. The Front Range is the eastern most range that extends from Long Peak south to Mt. Evans.

Foothills - The area east of the Front Range Crest to appx 6000 ft along the base of the foothills that runs from near the WY border south to appx Pikes Peak.

Banana Belt - The area in the foothills from appx Shaffers Crossing extending south to Bailey and then west to Grant, but also including areas to the east towards Pine. These areas are sheltered from our upslope storms that have northeast flow, so they get less snow, and are also warmer in winter months.

Urban Corridor - Basically the I-25 corridor, extending west to appx 6000 ft along the base of the foothills and east to about 50 miles east of I-25.

Plains - everything from 50 miles east of I-25 to Kansas and Nebraska

"Sunshine is delicious, rain is refreshing, wind braces us up, snow is exhilarating; there is really no such thing as bad weather, only different kinds of good weather" - John Ruskin

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ]